Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Purses: The Details

Cutting out the handle, prior to removing the resist.

 


Pinning on the pocket lining, prior to stitching.
(I reversed this after I took the photo, so that the 'good side' was toward
the cut opening in the flap.)

 


Machine stitching the buttonhole.

 


One of the finished purses.

 


I made two more spiral purses, recently...

...using my peanut-shaped resist.

But since they are so similar to the first one that I posted...

...I decided to show you a bit more of the detail work today.

When removing the resist (and cutting out the handles)...

...it seems to work best if I cut out the front section, first.

I then line up the front and back, carefully...

...and use the first side as a template for cutting the second.

I didn't trim the pockets on these two bags...

...but, instead, lined them as larger ovals, allowing for more 'stuff'.

I machine stitched a buttonhole in each...

...but a decorative hand-embroidery stitch would work just as well.

I used different buttons on each of these bags...

...from my stash of vintage and thrifted buttons.

This one came from a pea coat from my teen years!

(Yes...that long ago!) Giggle.



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

vilterietje said...

heather thanks for the information! whenever i can throw my crutches in a corner, i will start with a bag like this, a small one! it looks lovely. by the way: i think all people which use used buttons are heroes, i shiver to touch them. love, riet:)

Heather Woollove said...

Riet, dear---You are such a poet!
I love that expression...'shiver to touch them'!! (I absolutely LOVE old buttons, too. I thrill when I find them in thrift stores and church sales.
Yes--heal quickly and then try a purse!
XXO--

Angela said...

I really like the pink spiral purse and I too love old buttons. I have two button boxes as I've inherited one - lucky me.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Angela. Yes...lucky you!

Patty Biermans said...

Buttons, my favourite little things! When I was a little girl I played with my mothers buttonbox and sorted them out by color. When my friend Riet came to play she always shiverd when she saw me play with them. Do you know that girl? (giggle) Hugzz...Peebee

Heather Woollove said...

Peebee--Have you and Riet really been friends for your whole lives?

FeltersJourney said...

Lovely bag Heather! You know I'm partial to spirals :) & the colour is gorg!
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Yes...spirals are amazing! (So much peaceful energy in them!!)