Monday, January 24, 2011

Orange and Raw Locks Purse- Part 2

Pebbled purse front.

 


With the flap open (now you see why I made a 'beard' of raw locks).

 


Purse back.

 


Close up of raw locks puddle.

 


Like everything else, working with raw locks has a learning curve...

...and with each 'fleece-in-the-grease' project, I figure out something new.

I found that it can be helpful to have a small bowl of concentrated soap

solution on hand...

...in which to dip the cut ends of the locks before attaching them to the

roving surface.

As with some of my earlier bags...

...I made an internal pocket out of one of the flaps, and lined it with

fabric.

To make the bag closure flap, I trimmed the felt to a uniform shape

(following the curve of the raw locks 'beard')...

...then made a buttonhole and added a large, wooden button.

To complete it, I machine stitched the handle together...

...and topstitched close to the flap edge for interest.



Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

This is my favorite purse so far!

Tracy Markey said...

wow! not only is this a great colour combination but i love the texture from the raw locks :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Leann and Tracy!

Hedwig Schumacher said...

The bag is really exiting and I love the texture!
Hadiah

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Hadiah! Yes...it's certainly not a 'shrinking violet' kind of bag! :)

Patty Biermans said...

You make such inspiring designs! The way you use the locks is great. I'm still affraid to use them, but your courage inspires me. Thankx for sharing. Hugzz.....Peebee

Kelly said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I love this one! The orange is great of course but the locks are the perfect touch. I also love the pebbly texture you have from fulling!

WonderWhyGal said...

I absolutely LOVE it! Great tip about the raw locks too. Now I am even more inspired to play with my Suri Locks...hmmmm, a weekend project?

Heather Woollove said...

Be strong, Peebee! (After all, what is the worst that could happen?) Giggle.
Kelly and Andrea--Thanks so much!
Yes, Andrea-you sure have to plan your project time now, don't you!?!

vilterietje said...

i realy love it, só kinky!!! it looks absolutely "strange" surprisingly special!
if i knew more english, i could even say more. love, riet:)

Heather Woollove said...

Kinky, huh, Riet? Hmmmmmm. Literally and figuratively, I guess! Grin.
(I'm glad you like it!!) XXO-

Mariana said...

I absolutely love it!
What you can do with the raw locks is grab each lock by the "bottom side" (the part where it was attached to the sheep!) and open them up a bit so It grabs on better. Most locks felt that way faster and easier than flat!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Mariana! If I understand you correctly, you mean that I should 'fan out' the fibers...kind of like the bottom of a broom...before I attach them?
It sounds like a great tip! I'll try it next time. :)

FeltersJourney said...

Wild and wonderful! I love it x

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Deborah! I'm looking forward to seeing your new bag, too!

walter and me said...

Oh that is lovely - such a vibrant colour combination.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Diana--Orange always makes me happy!! :)