Saturday, January 8, 2011

Knitting Needle Roll- Part 1

Layout for large felt piece...

...with prefelt snippets and short fiber merino blobs.

 


Scrunching and throwing to full the felt.

 


Tri-color braid of silk yarn with tags cut from the trimmings.

 


Cutting and pinning the finished felt.

 


I have a sweet friend who's a knitter...

...among her many other artistic skilz! :)

When she admired a felted pencil roll online, recently...

...I offered to make her one to use for her knitting needles!

She gave me carte blanche regarding the shape and size...

...and I was left to my own devices regarding how wide to make each section, too.

Luckily, I found some old knitting needles in the attic...

...and measured them for a proper height and width.

Once I knew how large the piece of felt needed to be...

...I laid out white roving and some happy, colorful accents, too.

I wanted to make a strong tie that would coordinate with the roll...

...so I braided long pieces of silk yarn in three bright colors.

After trimming the roll to size...

...I used two pieces of the finished felt for 'tie tags'...

...to keep the ends of the braid from unraveling.

Next time...

...the finished roll!



Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

vilterietje said...

cannotwaittoseeit! love, riet:)

Patty Biermans said...

You are such a good friend to make this present! Your friend is a lucky woman. I like the layout already so I must love the finished roll..;-) Hugzz....Peebee

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I can't wait. I already know it's going to be BOOOO TI FULL!!! :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, ladies! It's always fun to make something that you know will be used and appreciated!!

Suzanne said...

I'm loving it already! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha, Suzanne...I think all of you knitters will be especially fond of this project!!

Angela said...

my friend is also busy making knitting needle rolls. This one looks as though it will be beautiful.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Angela!

Tracy Markey said...

can't wait to see the finished pics. i love all the bright colours against the white background, i'm sure your friend will love this.

it's funny how much more enjoyable it is to make something for a gift knowing that it will be loved and cherished, i never seem to find the time to make gifts for me though!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Narkeymarkey...and I think I have the solution to your dilemma!
You and I should do a swap...then you still wouldn't be making something for yourself, but you'd get a present, anyway! :)

Tracy Markey said...

perfect! what a great idea. is there anything you would like but would never make for yourself? give me a few suggestions and then i can surprise you :)

primdollie said...

I can't even begin to say how much I love this beautiful work of art and I am so thrilled it is ALL MINE!!! you are such a dear!! I am here drooling over all the new stuff! great pillow and wow yummy cinnamon rolls too! (wish you could send those!! hehehe!!) sorry I am behind on emails and such but will email soon! Thnx so much for the needle roll and the great directions too! still hope to try one if all goes well tomorrow!! will let ya know!! xoxoxoxo L

Heather Woollove said...

I'm SO glad, Linda!! I'll be anxious to hear about your success today. Hang up that 'felting-privacy please!' sign and get busy!
Giggle.

primdollie said...

yes tried the sign but hubby had other ideas!! and today we are off to do more shopping and lunch which is fun too! so may be trying to get it done after work!! which is ok too I guess!! did get some knitting done and almost finished with my second fingerless mitt out of sock yarn for ME!!! pics soon!! xoxoxo!!