Sunday, January 23, 2011

Orange and Raw Locks Purse- Part 1

Orange and white wool roving.

 


Circular layout of raw Jacob Hoggett fleece.

 


More raw fleece (front of bag).

 


Stuffed and hanging to dry.

 


Now that I'm done making pillows for awhile (grin)...

...I've started making a lot of bags using my peanut-shaped resist.

Since this purse was going to be for me...

...my first thought was, of course, "orange"!!

I also decided that it might be fun to add raw locks to the piece...

...to see if I could make a bag that was a little bit wild! Giggle.

I started with orange and white wool roving...

...placing the darker wool at the top, for the handle and bag flap.

I added raw locks in a puddle to the bag's backside...

...and designed a 'beard' of locks on the front where the closure would be.

I felted this bag pretty hard...

...and the resulting surface is nice and pebbly.

Next time...

...the finished bag in all of its riotousness!


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't wait to see it. I love the orange, so bright and cheerful. It's going to be gorgeous, I am sure. :)

WonderWhyGal said...

I think you have a groupie...it's me! I absolutely love everything you create and I can't wait to see this. Yes, orange and jacob are the perfect mix. If I were to own sheep, they'd probably be jacob.

Have you worked with raw Suri Alpaca locks when felting? I am still learning to wet-felt and when I have tried incorporating my beloved Suri, it never turns out as I want. Just curious.

Andrea

Patty Biermans said...

When I see the layout and later the finished purse I'm surprised!! That you can make from a bundle of wool such a beautiful purse. Amazing!! Hugzz....Peebee

WhingingNinja said...

oh wow must get my hands on some of those locks! love the bright orange

krex said...

It looks like you use the stuff I use to keep rugs from slipping instead of bubble wrap when rolling ?

The purse looks difficult to me but I would like to try the loose locks some time .

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Yes...love me some orange!
Andrea--You're so funny! No-I've never used alpaca locks. I had a bit of trouble with alpaca being slippery and hard to felt, so I usually give it a pass, but I'd love to hear any tricks you discover!
Thanks, Peebee and WN!!
Krex-Yes...I love that rubbery stuff for rolling!

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Good morning buddy,

You know, just thinking that it's time for you to come out from under your shell...stop being so subdued ...LOL. I love your designs, bright colors, and always-willing-to-give-anything-a-try spirit...You always brighten my day...In fact I'm getting ready to go and find my sunglasses and have one more look at this cool bag. I love it!!!!

Love,
Dawn

Heather Woollove said...

:) Dawn!

Terriea Kwong said...

AWESOME ! Just love the color orange, the raw fleece and all the combination. Orange is cheerful. The texture is GREAT. Thanks for sharing.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Terrie! I think these bags are so much fun to make...not too 'overwhelming' due to their size...and fun to customize! :)