Monday, January 17, 2011

Purple Protrusion Purse- Part 1

Peanut-shaped resist with black and white variegated roving.

 


The purple tube closure.

 


Cutting the handle.

 


Star slits cut for the closure.

 



I had in mind another peanut-shaped resist bag...

...as a Christmas gift for my dear friend, Dawn.

One of the best things about making felt pieces for other felters...

...is that you can get away with being even more outrageous than usual!! Grin.

Since she and her husband are two purple-lovin' people...

...I added a shot of that color (or should I say shock?) to this

demure black and white bag.

I wrapped the resist with several layers of wool, in the usual way...

...then added the tube closure.

After rolling it until it passed the pinch test...

...I cut out the handles and continued felting.

Once the bag was finished and dried...

...I cut a star slit in each of the two flaps.

This bag uses both cut out pieces for its closure...

...unlike the earlier ones which convert one flap into a pocket!

Next time...

...the finished bag with a smidgen of hand sewing. :)

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

vilterietje said...

great bag, how did you make the tube? looking forward to part 2.
love, riet:)

Terriea Kwong said...

Glad to see another piece. Eager to see how you work it to a finished one. Thanks and I'll follow.

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

You should have heard the whooping and hollering when I opened your fantastic gift...One, just seeing that it was from you (isn't that something the effect that you have on people?), two, the super cool closure, three, the perfect color, four, your amazing talent, and five, and most important of all, your friendship, which I treasure. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--Here's the best post explaining my 'tubes'...
http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/2010/06/yellow-clutch-purse-with-netting.html
I've done a lot of them on my blog, though, so if you want more examples, just search for the word tube.
Thanks, Terrie!
Dawn---De nada, dear friend!! XXO

Anonymous said...

Wonderfull bag!
Hmm I really need to think of something nice- original to make for Dawn as she is my swap partner:)

primdollie said...

this looks amazing will have to see how you finish this I would love to learn how to do this!!! wish I could come and play!!! maybe this summer!! can't wait to see the finished piece!! tried to start my felted piece but hubby had other plans so may be doing it after work till I can get it done!! but shopping and lunch with my honey is fun too!! more soon! we are off again!!xoxoxo! Linda

Jenn said...

I love the look of this one!

Angela said...

I can't wait to see the finished item.

vilterietje said...

thanks heather! love, riet:)

Heather Woollove said...

Kim--Yes, I heard that you're swapping with Dawn again. When I was chatting with her the other day, I called you 'my' Kim, but I guess you're more 'hers' than mine, now, since this is your second swap and I've only done one with you!! :)
Linda--Yes, lunch and shopping with your man is at least as much fun as felting...enjoy!!
Thanks, Jenn and Angela!
You're welcome, Riet!

Kelly said...

I saw part 2 first and could not believe I missed this post! LOVE< LOVE< LOVE this bag shape!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Kelly! I've been doing quite a few with this resist, lately...so there will be more to come! :)