Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unmitigated Garment Disaster- Part 3 of 5

The (dry) layout on the front side.

 
...and...after wetting it down.

 
With only one layer of wool roving plus a layer of silk gauze...



...I'm expecting a lot of shrinkage. 


Once the piece is wet and soapy...

...I roll it up and wrap it in thin painter's plastic...
 
...then tie it with narrow lengths cut from a nylon stocking...

...bundle it up in a towel, and pop it into my tumble dryer.

 
Checking and readjusting the piece, partway through felting.

 
The nubby texture on the silk side of the finished nuno garment.



Using the dryer felt method...

...I roll up, tie, and wrap up the garment...

...then tumble it on high heat for several 15-minute sessions...

...unrolling and checking it until it is fully felted.

Except for a small area or two where I wasn't 100% happy with my layout coverage...

...I think the garment did well enough in the dryer.

Next time: You'll finally get to see why I call this garment a disaster! :(

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Rachel said...

It is certainly not looking like a disaster so far...

Kelly said...

Okay, putting it into the dryer would freak me out! All that work and having to give up a lot of control of the actual felting....but, I guess you would have to roll it a gazillion times to get it to felt.....

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--I know...I was still hopeful at this stage, too! :)
Kelly--The dryer felting actually works great...esp
for large garments (even those with lots of layers and embellishment!)...but that wasn't really the problem here.

Andria said...

I'm finding this absolutely fascinating, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. You have my on tenterhooks--what could have gone wrong it looks so cool??!!

Heather Woollove said...

Andria--I'm glad that you find this project riveting! Giggle. You are my favorite kind of friend...
easily amused! Smile.

GalaFilc said...

Nice colors and interesting technique

Heather Woollove said...

Galina--Thanks! XO-