Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Another Wet-Felted Compost Bin Cover- Part 1 of 2

Making art batts from 'stash' roving in varied colors...

 
...and beginning the layout.

 
Since this cover is not for me, but for my daughter, L...

 
...I encouraged her to invest some 'sweat equity' by helping me with the layout and some of the rolling.

 
Adding 'clouds' of washed Border Leicester fleece...


...for fun and visual interest. 
 
The finished felt (front side).

 
My daughter's new apartment includes access to a garden...

...and she was most anxious to start making compost for next Spring's planting!

Using 'odds and ends' from my fiber stash...

...we created a large number of art batts in blended colors.

We then laid out two thick, fluffy layers of roving...

...and added clumps of washed Border Leicester fleece to the top.

Next time: we machine stitch the cover into a cylindrical shape...

...and make a smaller piece of thick felt for the lid.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this is quite huge and a lot or work, i'm not sure how you would use it for compost, wont it get all mangie lol

Rachel said...

She will be able to be so pleased with herself for helping with it every time she looks at it.

Heather Woollove said...

Karen-It's really 'hard felted' so it stays pretty nice, actually!
Rachel-Yes, I think she's quite satisfied!