Friday, October 19, 2012

Another Wet-Felted Compost Bin Cover-Part 2 of 2

The back side of the finished felt.

 
Holding the lid in place.

 
After sewing the cover into a cylindrical shape.

 
Pre-felt leaf shapes were added to the lid during felting for a bit of fun.

 
I stitched the 'seam allowance' down on both the outside (for appearances' sake)...

...and the inside of the cylinder (so it doesn't 'catch' on the chicken wire skeleton or the composting materials).

  
A 'bird's eye view' of the Border Leicester locks.

 
A photo from my daughter...the compost bin in situ.

(I think it looks a little like a gnome's house!) :)



Because L's car was filled to bursting...

...we didn't insert the chicken wire skeleton ahead of her move.

Once settled, she and her boyfriend built the inner wire cylinder and lid...

...and hand-stitched the felt to it in spots to keep the metal cage from sliding out.

I was surprised to see that they didn't trim the top into a rounded shape...

...but she told me that they had mistakenly bought a thinner gauge wire than I had used here...

...and they felt that they needed the larger 'overhang' to keep the lid from falling in. :)

I'll be anxious to compare notes with her about how quickly her kitchen scraps turn to compost...

...since I've been thrilled with how the 'toasty heat' of my felt bin speeds the process along! :)

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I love the natural compost bin. It truly does look like woodland fairies might make a home there.

Rachel said...

It adds a really delightful touch to the garden as well!

Voie de Vie said...

This one came out as well as the first one, and thanks for the update on your first one.

How's the first one holding up to the elements?

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea-It's such a nice setting, isn't it?
Rachel-Thank-you!
Denise-It's still in great shape!

Vivian said...

That does look like a gnome's house!

Unknown said...

WOW it looks pretty amazing and does look like a fairy house lol I would never have thought about this Heather so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up :)

Heather Woollove said...

Vivian-Doesn't it?
Karen-I hope that theirs is as sturdy as mine and works as well. We'll see!

Anonymous said...

Lydia is going to have the most fashionable compost bin in the neighborhood. She will be the envy of every gardener around. LOL

I find it amusing, but wonderfully practical at the same time. Where you ever got the idea, I don't know. But I love it, and I'm so happy yours has been such a success, so far. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Hahaha...These 'lowly' functional projects thrill me...and I think William Morris would approve, "Have nothing...that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" :)