Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pre-Felt Flower Adorned Red Purse- Part 1 of 2

Hand-stitching circles into a piece of pre-felt...

...using heavy duty nylon thread.



Applying flowers to the bottom of the wool roving-wrapped resist...
 
...and also to the purse flap...

 
...prior to the final felting.

 
Cutting into each flower with sharp scissors...

...to reveal an inner layer of color!



The fully felted and dried purse. 
 
Hand-stitching bullion knots...

 
...into the center of each 'bloom'.

 
Since returning from Marjolein Dallinga's wonderful class this summer...

...I've found myself using partially felted wool (pre-felts)...

...in ways that I never had before!!

For this project, I first made a large pre-felt by laying out a single layer of white wool...

...then added squares of several different roving colors for layer number two.

After the sheet was partially felted and dried...

...I hand-stitched circles into it using strong nylon thread.

Next, I cut out around each of these stitched circles...

...(leaving a generous margin)...

...and applied them (using a bit of 'soap glue') to the wool-wrapped resist.

After the piece was fully felted and dried...

...small, sharp scissors were employed to carefully remove the nylon thread.

In order to add a bit more interest to the flower centers...

...I embroidered bullion knots onto each one with yellow embroidery floss.

Next time: the finished purse...

...with handmade leather strap.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Mariana said...

the mother of all textured bags! :) love it!!!

Voie de Vie said...

Isn't it great to attend a conference/course and get inspiration?

Heather Woollove said...

Mariana--Hahaha..I hadn't thought of it that way! :)
Denise--Oh, yes!!! I would take a class a month if I could manage it!! Grin.

Unknown said...

Looks so cozy, very nice bag, Heather!

Rachel said...

There's such variety in what is possible with felt, isn't there. Now if only I didn't have tennis elbow I could add it to the list of Things To Try!

Heather Woollove said...

Alevtina--Thank-you!!
Rachel--Oh, no! I hope you'll feel better soon! (That can take a long time to heal!) XO-