Friday, October 5, 2012

Unmitigated Garment Disaster- Part 1 of 5

Altering a sleeveless top resist for more length and 'swing' at the bottom...



...and defining the neckline with permanent marker. 
 
Adding a layer of silk gauze...

 
...and trimming it into shape at the top.

 
Beginning the layout with dark blue roving along the side seams...

 
...and filling in with roving in shades of lavender...

 
...blue and pink.

 
Wetting out side one.

 
There's no way to 'sugar coat' it...

...I have a love-hate relationship with garment felting.

I think the sheer size of the required resists...

...(for seamless projects, anyway)...

...is often enough to stop me before I start!

Inspired by my friend, Llinda's beautiful nuno top (which actually fit me!)...

...I decided to 'screw my courage to the sticking place' and try again! :)

Using a copy of her resist pattern as my starting point...

...I added long, curving sides at the hem...

...and traced it onto a thick sheet of painter's plastic.

With permanent marker, I outlined the curvature of the neckline and straps...

...on both the front and back sides.

Next, I covered the resist with a piece of silk gauze...

...and trimmed it into shape.

Beginning with dark blue roving on the sides of the piece...

...I completed side one with stripes of variegated roving in shades of blue, pink and lavender.

Next time: the layout continues on side two.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Cathy Johnson said...

That's an interesting and yet scary process, bravo for giving it a go! I wouldn't have dared!! Look forward to see the next part :)

Melissa Plank said...

Disaster? I don't believe a word of it! Your projects are always beautiful and amazing, can't wait to see it completed. Best wishes!

Heather Woollove said...

Cathy--It's quite daunting (to me, anyway) working so LARGE! :)
Melissa--I appreciate your encouraging words, but I am not being hyperbolic here! 'Disaster' it was!! Giggle.

Terriea Kwong said...

Such a big project and you're always serious in making. I'm so lazy just to roughly draw on a foam. The finish look must be stunning.

Rachel said...

It does look like rather a handful to felt!

Voie de Vie said...

I am certain you will snatch victory from the jaws of "unmitigated disaster." :)

Kelly said...

wow! I am amazed by anyone who felts a garment. I cannot wait to see the result of this huge project!

Heather Woollove said...

Terriea--I was lucky to have my friend, Linda's template to start with! :)
Rachel--Yes...these projects start out HUGE! :)
Denise--Not this time...but you'll see! :)
Kelly--I'm taking another garment class in a couple of weeks, and it's none too soon, believe me! :)

Unknown said...

Aww i dont think you'll have any trouble at all Heather :)

Kathryn Ray said...

Eeee, that title has me cringing with fear about what will happen next.

WonderWhyGal said...

I would feel overwhelmed with a garment too. I look forward to seeing your next post.

Vivian said...

The "swing" bottom looks very interesting!

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--This time, I'm afraid that your faith in me is misplaced! :)
Kathryn--Yes...this is the proper attitude! Giggle.
Andrea--I've never been a 'big project' kind of person. I was this way when I sewed, as well.
Vivian--I thought it would be, too! :)

FeltersJourney said...

I know what you mean Heather.. the whole thing scares me.. working out the size and what shape it needs to be to NOT end up looking like a sack of spuds in it. I made a 'tunic' about 3 years back; it was horrific its still in my recycling box waiting to become something else.
x

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--'Sack of spuds', indeed!!! You'll soon see my version of that fitting description! :)