Monday, October 1, 2012

Experimental "Hippie" Purse- Part 1 of 2


Beautiful handspun yarn from my friend, Kelly.

 
Laying out Bluefaced Leicester roving.

 
Adding duct-tape-covered, plastic-wrapped sections of yarn to the bag body...

 
...and adding some with only thin plastic layers between them...

...to the flap of the bag.



Covering the entire piece in roving...

...but leaving an open resist at the flap end.
 
The bag back, mid-felting.

 
Sewing on cut-out circles of felt...

...using lengths of wool yarn in wild colors.

 
Blanket-stitching around the cut-out holes and around the edge of the flap.

 

It all started with a box of glorious handspun yarn...

...and a bit of extra time on my hands during a workshop. :)

I decided to try another open-resist purse (similar to this one.)

...using pieces of yarn as the embellishment, instead of 'dreads'.

When I had partially felted the bag...

...I trimmed the flap and did a 'purse-ectomy'...

...cutting out holes and then re-attaching them (in new places!) with wool yarn.

Next time: the finished bag (after final felting)...

...with a short, suede-side-out leather strap.


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Rachel said...

You've been having fun with this one!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Aren't you surprised by all the hand-stitching I've been doing lately?!? Who do I think I am, anyway...you?!? XXO-

Kelly said...

Ooooohhhhh! I have been waiting to see what you would do with the yarn! So far from what I see, it looks fabulous!! :)
I for one love all of the stitching you have done, it adds one more layer of awesomeness to your projects!

Elizabeth said...

How in the world did you get the duct tape off without ruining the fiber???

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--Your yarn is so incredible, I know that I will be using it for inspiration for many, many projects!
Elizabeth--I wrapped it in plastic first, but it still did a little damage (see Part 2)! :)

FeltersJourney said...

I really do like this Heather! Very exciting design (Love the dangly threads, holes and embroidery!)
x

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--Thanks! It's kind of fun, I think! :)