Monday, May 14, 2012

Pre-Felt and Raw Icelandic Fleece Purse- Part 3 of 3

I used rare-earth magnets again for the closure on this bag...

...but the resulting front flap looked a little plain...

...(some of my friends even thought it resembled an animal's snout!)...

 
...so I added a non-functional button.

 
The bag back...

 
...and in full view with its leather strap.

 
The fabric lining with inner pocket (not shown)...

...the red 'dot' is one of the magnet closures.

 
A close up of the leaves, Icelandic locks...

 
...and green glass beads.

 
The finished purse...

...in all of its hairy glory! :)

 
This bag proved to be a bit challenging for me...

...because of the different rates and ways the pre-felt and raw locks felted.

I do like the counterpoising of both wild and controlled elements, though...

...and I certainly will try another project like this sometime.

Several of the leaf edges needed a little hand-stitching after felting...

...so I used it as an opportunity to add a few 'blingy' green glass beads for fun! :)

Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Grazyna said...

Beautiful and original.Great Heather!

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

I love the variety of textures in this purse. Beautiful! What is the advantage of working "inside-out"? - Margaret

GalaFilc said...

A very interesting case. I love the locks and leaves. It was interesting to read and look at pictures like a bag is born.

krex said...

I think this turned out great . I also like the wild and controlled juxtaposition of leaves and fur...(I'm a big fan of all things furry anyway .)

Светлана said...

This is a very, very nice! Forest, a magic bag!
Svetlana

Heather Woollove said...

Grazyna--Thank you! :)
Margaret--I have less trouble getting additions to 'felt into' a piece well when they are next to the resist and aren't troubled by the agitation of my rubbing/ throwing, etc. Plus, I also enjoy the 'surprise' of it!!
Galina--Thank you!
Krex--Oh, me, too! The wilder, the better! Giggle.
Alevtina--I like that very much...
a 'magical forest bag'! (You are much more poetic than I!) XXO-

WonderWhyGal said...

Love! Love! Love!

The button really did make a difference.

Another amazing creation!

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Thanks! I agree...the button was really necessary! XXO-

Rachel said...

Some of those locks of wool look like roots and twigs - very suitable!

Anonymous said...

Amazing how tame all those long locks look when it's finished. I feared they would completely obliterate the leaves when I saw the picture of the raw fleece, but the leaves came through very nicely, and the locks are not nearly as knarly as they were before. LOL Very nice. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--You're right!
Sandie--I wasn't sure, myself, how a project like this would come out! :)

Plastusia said...

Great job! Lovely bag!

Heather Woollove said...

Plastusia--Thanks so much! XXO-

Terriea Kwong said...

Agree all, pretty shape and texture as well color. Just love the hairy locks. The little sparkling green beads are perfect with it.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Terriea! I was happy to find those green glass beads in my bead box. I think they were just right, too. XXO-

Jenn said...

It's always fun to see what you're creating. I Love this bag! The shapes, textures and colors are so appealing. Just beautiful!

FeltersJourney said...

Its lovely Heather, very unique
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Jenn--Thanks so much! I'm always happy to hear from you!
Deborah--Hahaha...yes...'interesting', is what my work friends would say! :)

Kelly said...

The colors and texture are fabulous!!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--Thanks! This one was fun to make, even if it was a bit challenging!

Het Wolbeest said...

I just love this one Heather!!! Love, Alexandra.

Heather Woollove said...

It was an interesting process on this one, Alexandra!