Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Stash-Busting" Cat Bed- Part 2 of 2

The wetted out project during felting.

 
Clamping the finished felt into place to dry...

 
...using cans, bottles and a heavy 'pizza stone'...

...to shape and weigh down the center section of the bed.

 
The finished project with built-in cat toys...

 ...(check out the sproingy little 'wiggly bits' of felt!)

 
Erykah trying it out for size...

 
...and, here, in an 'action shot'! :)

 
"Hmmmm...what's in this corner?"

 
And finally, her patient sister, Chloe, gets a turn.

 
The felting on this project was pretty straightforward...

...but I did need to stitch it together in a couple of spots where there were gaps between the spirals.

To shape it while drying, I weighed it down with a large, round pizza stone...

...plus several heavy cans and bottles.

Once dry and 'formed'...

...I machine stitched the pleats into place.

I think the girls must be pretty happy with their new 'nest'...

...since it hasn't been empty since I made it...

...and I've even found them both crammed in there together! :)

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Unknown said...

WEll done, Heeather, very cozy nest :) Sure, girls will be happy.

Mattie van den Heuvel said...

Two hours ago, as my cat was using my felted bag as a bed, I said, I must felt a cat bed soon! One cat already has a basket with a piece of felt in it, but the other one is NOT allowed to lye in that hahaha.
I like yours! Nice and colourful!

Heather Woollove said...

Alevtina--Thanks! Yes...they seem to like it so far!
Mattie--Hahaha...cats are so funny, aren't they?
I really love the 'pod-like' cat beds that I've seen on various blogs, but I'm sure they require diluted glue or a stiffener, and I've never tried using one of those...so my floppy bed will have to do for now! :)

Kelly said...

I would say it was a success! Love the action shots of the kitty!

Terriea Kwong said...

Erykah and Chloe certainly fond of the cozy bed. It's a big project. Did you do it all by hand rolling and rubbing. It's sturdy and must have taken some time to finish.

Rachel said...

Good to know that your "clients" are so happy - all that effort was worthwhile!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly-I think I got more 'action shots' the day I took them, than 'sitting still' shots with those girls! :)
Terriea--I rubbed and rolled it until it was pretty sturdy, then finished it in the washing machine a few minutes at a time and checking a lot.
Rachel--My 'princesses', you mean! It's good that they are really cute, 'cause they don't do a lick of work around here! Grin.

martine said...

Looks fabulous but I have yet to meet a cat who will actually sleep anywhere that is specially prepared for them:-)
much love
martine

Vivian said...

This reminds me of stash busting knitted blankets, with all the left over yarns, just keep knitting until it's the right size. They always come out so colorful and fun to use. Looks like the cats approved it!

Spinster Beth said...

That is wonderful! And the cats seem so appreciative!

Heather Woollove said...

Martine--It's true! Maybe my cats were willing to try it out because it resembled the 'shoe bin' that I keep right next to it. :)
Vivian--Yes...a mix of colors is sometimes just right! :)
Beth--Yes...it was a good way to use up old fiber. :)

Andria said...

That bed is just about the most adorable thing I've seen in blogland lately. I love it, and I love that it used up stash, that is so satisfying.

Heather Woollove said...

Andria--I know...I love the feeling of using up 'unloved' fiber from time to time. (If only because I feel less guilty buying more!!) Giggle.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, and from the looks of it, the cats couldn't be happier. Congratulations my friend, for coming up with another wonderful project. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Thanks! :)

FeltersJourney said...

= one happy cat :)
Ingenious way of using up all those bits n bobs! Would of made a very pretty rug too
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--I'm pretty sure I had a rug in mind when I started....but I couldn't think where I'd actually use such a riot of color kind of piece, so it 'transformed'!! :)

Het Wolbeest said...

They're great, your cats!!! Love the nest! Love, Alexandra

Heather Woollove said...

Alexandra--They are cute, aren't they? It's fun for me to make useful things.