Tuesday, May 8, 2012

MD Sheep and Wool Festival 2012- "The Spoils!"




As you can see...

 
...I went a little wild on Sunday! :)

 
I bought a large-form book of Ernst Haeckel plates (love him!)...



...and roving in lots of interesting colors. 
 
I bought merino plus silk or tencel blends...

 
...silk noil, Hog Island wool, and a large raw fleece, as well!

 
Contrary to popular opinion (and now you have proof!)...

...I do not buy only orange roving. Giggle.

Since I love the sheen and softness of wool blended with silk or tencel...

...I invested in a number of colors of these mixed fiber rovings.

The Hog Island wool came from my friend, Jay's woolen mill...

...and in another booth, Linda and I each just had to have a bright, multicolored batt!

I also bought the most luscious Superfine merino and silk and merino blend rovings...

...from my dear friend, Joan's farm.

If you're looking for the nicest raw fleeces...

...it's always best to be the first one in line on the first day of the festival...

...(waiting until Sunday to attend is always a risk.) :(

But even though I missed out on finding my coveted Bluefaced Leicester fleece...

...I did manage to find a lustrous, super clean Romney/Coopworth/Border Leicester/Corriedale mix fleece...

...and I can't wait to see how it felts!!

A couple of things that didn't make it into the photos: packages of yummy Friesian sheep's milk cheese...

...and a replacement ball brauser...

...(somehow, the spray ends of mine always come loose after time!).

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Rachel said...

You had a real spending spree, didn't you!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Hahaha...yes!

FeltersJourney said...

Wow - great haul!! Look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

The spray end fell off mine too.. SO far the end is securely attached to my second one (touch wood) .. I'm being ever so much more careful with this one than the last lol

Glad you had such a wonderful time
x

Anonymous said...

!! :-) just a little..
haven't most of us been there :)

Lin VanArtsdalen said...

A little crazy? Girl you went wild!

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--It really was a special day!
Monika--Fiber festivals can be frenzied places!! :)
Linda--It was great sharing the insanity with you!
XXO-

Kelly said...

yeah for wool shopping!!! Love the colors that you ended up with, and cannot wait to see what you end up making with all of that fluffy goodness!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--It was a delightful festival, and the only thing missing was YOU! Next year, maybe?!? XXO-

Unknown said...

great varity of colours and fibers. No doubt, you had fun ;) I wish i would visit that festival...

Heather Woollove said...

Anebtnha--Yes...it was wonderful. Do you have fiber festivals where you live?

Unknown said...

We have huge embroidery exhibition twice a year where we can also meet felt makers, see their works and share experience. Besides masters different shops take part in the exhibition and offer variaty of goods, fibres as well :)
P.S. My name is Alevtina, i'm from Moscow Russia :) I also have a blog, devoted to felting. Welcome!

Heather Woollove said...

Greetings, Alevtina! (I was pretty sure that I didn't have your name right, but I wasn't sure how to distinguish my answer to you, otherwise!)
Your scarves and slippers are just lovely!! Your embroidery exhibition must be something special. I don't think we have things like that here. Quilting, yes, and fiber arts...but I don't think I've ever heard of an embroidery festival before! XXO-

Unknown said...

thank you :)
Exhibition is really something special. Masters of different fields are joint there: feltmaking, quilting, embroidery (cross-stitching, ribbon stitching and etc), decoupage, toys makers... Next time it's planned in autumn. I will try to take pictures for you ;)

Grazyna said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful wool you buy.

Heather Woollove said...

Alevtina--I would love to see photos from your marvelous festival!! Thank you!
Grazyna--It's always fun to have fresh wool (and inspiration!).

Vivian said...

What a nice haul! I see a lot of interesting projects coming from that big pile. The rainbow colored ball looks like a big pillow, come think of it, my son used a big skein of yarn as pillow once.

Heather Woollove said...

Vivian--It does look like a pillow! My friend and I each had to have one, and I wonder now whether it was the color + comfort factor?!? :)

Anonymous said...

Somebody had a fun day, picking out all those lovely bits of wool and silk. Glad you had such a good time.

Heather Woollove said...

Yes, Sandie...it was super!