Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pre-Felt and Raw Icelandic Fleece Purse- Part 1 of 3

Laying out wool and tussah silk layers...

 
...in various shades of green...

 
...to make the pre-felt.



Another new resist shape (as paper pattern)... 
 
...and, here, being transferred onto foam floor underlayment.

 
Cutting leaf shapes from the pre-felt...

 
...and adding needle-felted details...

 
...like seeds, stems and veins.

 
I wanted to try another new resist shape...

...and thought that it might be fun to combine raw Icelandic locks...

...and handmade pre-felt leaves.

After drawing my new bag shape onto craft paper...

...I transferred it to a piece of foam floor underlayment and cut it out.

To make the pre-felt, I combined various shades of green wool roving and dyed tussah silk...

   ...and felted it just until it held together.

From patterns that I traced from fallen Autumn leaves some time ago...

...I cut out pre-felt leaves, adding needle-felted details with bits of silk and wool roving.

Next time: assembling the raw fleece and pre-felt...

...and beginning the felting process.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

GalaFilc said...

Очень интересно увидеть процесс творения твоих сумок.

Heather Woollove said...

Galina--I'm glad that you enjoy seeing my 'process'. I love to share my 'mad methods'! Giggle.

Unknown said...

will wait for the next step, very interesting what will be finally done :)

Karen said...

I love the sound of that.....''raw Icelandic fleece''...

Heather Woollove said...

Alevtina--I hope you will like it!
Grazyna--Thank you!
Karen--Hahaha...you're right! It does have a lovely ring to it, doesn't it! Thanks for pointing that out!
XXO-

Rachel said...

Each new resist adds something different!

Truly Myrtle said...

I love the shape of the bag - and the wee leaves. They are gorgeous!
Oh, if I lived around the corner I would love to spend a day with you and make a bag!

WonderWhyGal said...

ooooh, I'm excited to see this come together.

Now that I've had a chance to work with pre-felt, I want to try more. Maybe I should make some of my own first?

Can't wait to see your next step.

diana said...

I love your works!Your ideas are fantastic!I'm waiting for next posts....Warm greetings:)))

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--I hope so! :)
TM--Thank you so much. I would love to spend a day felting with you sometime!
Andrea--Jone's pre-felt is awesome and easy to use, but it's fun to try making your own, too. That way, you can incorporate all kinds of fibers and make it just exactly as you wish! XXO-

Heather Woollove said...

Diana--Thank you so much!! I love your dresses, too...they are beautiful in design and execution!
XXO-

Terriea Kwong said...

How wonderful to make the prefelt leaves. The color and veins are great.

Heather Woollove said...

Terriea--They were fun to do, although I'm not usually a fan of needle-felting! :)

elena nuez said...

looooove those leaves!!!!

Heather Woollove said...

Elena--Thank you! I'm so glad that you stopped by!