Monday, February 22, 2010

Using My Fiber Christmas Gifts

 

 

 

 


As you may recall...

I received a host of lovely Christmas presents last year...

...many of them fiber-related...

... and I've been wanting to use some of my new wool (thanks, M!)...

...and wonderful hand spun yarn (thanks, Kim!) ever since.

I made batts from the wool with my drum carder...

...and laid out strips of my batts, some red synthetic 'dotted-swiss'-ish fabric...

...and the yarn.

I left some open areas which became holes after felting...

...but I didn't do a good job of placing them evenly throughout the scarf...

...so they are more prominent in some sections than others.

My friend, C, came to town to see her college-aged daughter one weekend, though...

...and when I offered it to her as a gift, she didn't seem too bothered by the irregularities! :)

(Doesn't she look cute in it?)

I'd like to try this project again and pay a bit more attention to the lay out.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kim van Waardenburg said...

looks good haether!! What are the fabric "pieces" you used? cotton, silk?

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Kim! (Did you recognize your yarn?) :)
The red fabric isn't silk or cotton-it's one of the weird 'synthetic' fabrics that I bought the other day to try.
It's a very sheer, gauzy red fabric with self-same fabric 'dots' coming through from the flat front to the slightly fuzzy back...what we call 'dotted Swiss' here in the US.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And I'm sure it's going to see a lot of wear as time goes by. :)