Friday, February 26, 2010

New Slipper Lasts/Washing Machine Slippers

 

 

 

 


You may remember that I made slipper lasts several months ago....

As you can see from that post, I made them much larger than my feet and consequently, never found them to be of any real utility.

Recently, though, I decided to take another 'whack' at it...

...after seeing Sally Pointer's wonderful tutorial.

I used duct tape as before...

...but this time, I merely wrapped my feet in plastic grocery bags prior to taping...

...no socks! :)

I also used plastic grocery bags as stuffing...

...instead of polyfill and stones.

I used my usual resist slipper form...

...and some batts in variegated colors.

After felting them and cutting them apart...

...I turned them inside out to continue felting and fulling them a bit longer.

Then, instead of putting them on my feet to finish them...

...I rubber-banded them to the lasts, popped them into a net laundry bag...

...and threw them into the washing machine.

When rinsed and dried, I painted the bottoms with latex like Nicola does.

The top photo shows the two part liquid latex that I found in an art supply store...

...and the scale I used to weigh equal volumes from the yellow and blue bottles.

My 'sole application' wasn't perfect...

...in fact, it was quite patchy and bumpy (and I only bothered using one layer)...

...but I applied it to all of my finished 'indoor' slippers and it works like a charm.

No more slipping and sliding!





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sandie Knapp said...

What a neat approach to felting slippers. I would never have thought of it. I hope this time you find them a good fit and very comfy. Why not put another layer of the laytex on your new slippers. Maybe if you layer the laytex, eventually they will be just as you want them.

Happy slippering. :)