Monday, February 15, 2010

Microbe Baby Blanket

 

 

 

 


I really like to be organized.

I'm the kind of person who is happiest getting to appointments on-time...

...(my girls would call it pathologically early)...

...having back-up paper towels, baking powder and zip-lock bags...

...and being as ready as I can be for the eventualities of life.

So, I made a baby blanket.

No, no congratulations are in order, thank-you :)...

...in fact, I think it will be quite a while before any of my girls make me a "Honey"...

...(long, long story...my future 'Grandma' name).

This hasn't stopped me from making some items for my future little sweeties, however.

I've already sewn several crib quilts...

...in strange not-usual-for-baby colors...

...and bits of vintage linens and antique lace.

You might say that I'm not the most traditional of women...

...therefore, when it came to making something for my future grandbaby(ies)in felt...

...I didn't even consider the usual suspects.

(No boats or cars or kitties or rattles for me.)

"But what should it have on it", I wondered?????
*****************************************

Then I thought of something adorable!

I had my youngest daughters draw some 'germs'...

...since they are natural artists (though they claim the opposite), and have taken a biology class far more recently than I!

I cut the baby bugs out of pre-felt and added bits of pencil roving and more pre-felt for the details.

I felted my blanket in the usual manner, being careful to check and reposition any errant bits...

...and did my best to re-shape it into a rectangle (it's still a little wonky!).

The red pre-felt was perhaps more 'felt' than 'pre-', so I found some matching thread and embroidered around those pieces...

...but the other colors virtually melted into the whole, pleasing me a great deal.

Now away to a cedar chest to wait...for a baby! :)


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your "germy" baby blankie. That is so cool!!!

The "nuno" scarf below is lovely too. I really like the slightly ruffed border. Very nice indeed!!
:)

Kim van Waardenburg said...

It is beautyfull Heather!! And better be prepared then not.... hihihihi

Anonymous said...

I love this blanket. It's fabulous. When you talk of 'pre' felt, do you make the felt in the usual way (wet felting) but just not take it to the end stage? So it holds together, but can still be felted onto something else - ie. the blanket?
It's a wonderful microbe blanket :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Phillipa!
Yes-that's exactly it...the pre-felt can be cut into precise shapes, but it's still loose enough to 'become one' (har) with the other fiber in your projects. I'm just starting to work with them but I lurve them!!! (See this blog post if you want to see the big stack of pre-felts that I made before starting this project.) XXO
http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/2010/01/wip-pre-felt-preparations.html

Jackie said...

Its wonderful. The best thing is the immunity it will give to the putative GB!(As long as none of them are MRSA!)

Heather Woollove said...

Hahahaha, Jackie!!

"putative grandbaby"...just love this (sadly underused) word!!