Saturday, October 4, 2014

My Midwestern Adventure- Part 3 (Indigo Dyeing)

Sample pieces show us 'what's possible'...


                                   ...and supplies are laid out on each of the tables.



                                                Becky begins her first handkerchief.



                                  Tightly wrapped rubber bands are a popular choice...



                 ...as are wooden clothespins (already blue from previous dips in the dye pot).



                                    I used glass nuggets tied with rubber bands...

                                   ...and rows of running stitches on this silk scarf.



                                 An intrepid (and gloveless) classmate first soaks...



                                     ...then submerges his folded and tied project...

                ...into a mixture of pre-reduced crystal indigo, thiox and soda ash.



                                        A drying rack displays our dripping work.



                    Instructor Diane Corson helps a student unbundle her cloth...



                                                             ...et voila! 



                                       The rack begins to fill with wonderful things...


                          ...and the best part is watching as green turns to blue!




                                Back in our hotel room, I document the night's labor. 



                                 I think the unexpected 'arrows' on this one are fun.

                                                      "Which way do I go?!?"



                           My finished work (a little rumpled from the suitcase...sorry).




                                   

5 comments:

Rachel said...

What wonderful patterning!

WonderWhyGal said...

I love these!

I always walk through the indigo dye class at the MFF drooling.

I love how your designs turned out.

Unknown said...

Very nice. Looks like a lot of fun doing it too. :)

FeltersJourney said...

Oh Heather, they are beautiful! I LOVE indigo, what a fun workshop.. wish I'd been there (in fact wish I was on the whole trip with ya :) xx

Heather Woollove said...

It was so much fun...and Deborah, you would have been so much fun to travel with!!