Thursday, October 23, 2014

"Dye Another Day" Purse- Part 2 of 3

Mid-way through felting...


                          ...the dark edge remains quite visible at the top of the bag.



                                                         Fulling the purse.



                                 My fully felted project, prior to blocking and drying.



                                                  Turning the bag inside-out...

                  ...and filling it with leaves and berries prior to tying and steaming it...



                                            ...results in these rather faint prints...



                                                  ...(and side two is no better).


                                            The red splotches that you see here...

                              ...are from the writing on a plastic grocery bag...

                                           ...used as a thin resist during felting.    



                                      Sadly, even after dyeing it with plant matter...

                                    ...this purse still seemed a bit "meh" to me.

                              Next time: I overdye it with acid dyes in a crock-pot...

                                                 ...for a bold new look!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

The plant dyeing was worth a try, even if in this case, you didn't like the result!

Heather Woollove said...

You're right, Rachel--but somehow mine always come out either too pale (like this) or too 'muddy'. ;(

Terriea Kwong said...

I did have once little marks of grocery plastic on my white purse. A lesson learnt.

Unknown said...

I rather like the muted colors, but I know it isn't "you." LOL

Heather Woollove said...

Terriea--Was it a red dye, too? I am now highly suspicious of red writing on bags, but please tell me if you had trouble with another color!
Sandie--Hahaha...in part 3 you will see that it is no longer muted. :)

Terriea Kwong said...

Heather, my last time the plastic mark was blue. So not only red, all other color may "breed" due to rubbing I thought. So I avoid using any plastic with color after that.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Terriea! I will try to remember to use painter's plastic (without writing) from now on.