Monday, June 11, 2012

Variegated Blue and Purple Drawstring Bag- Part 1 of 2

Bluefaced Leicester and Tussah silk roving, along with my resist.

 
Laying out a layer of variegated roving...

 
...and here, again, in close-up.

 
Wetting out the project.

 
Adding a layer of silk chiffon to each side for strength.



Making a 'felt channel' for the drawstring with a piece of plastic underlayment. 
 
Turning the bag 'right side out' during felting.



Switching out the hard plastic resist in each channel for a length of (softer) fabric interfacing. 
 
I wanted to make something fun and feminine for a friend of mine...

...as a thank-you gift.

But because she is not a 'purse carrying' kind of woman...

...I chose to make more of a storage bag, like this one.

I decided to use one of my recent Sheep and Wool Festival purchases...

...a blended roving in variegated blues and purples.

Working inside-out, I laid out layers of roving...

...then covered them with a layer of silk chiffon for strength.

I tried something new with the 'drawstring channel' this time, too...

...making an integrated felt one, instead of sewing on a satin ribbon casing later.

The plastic resists that I used for the channels seemed to be 'pulling' a bit too much after awhile...

...so I replaced them with strips of fabric interfacing (much softer!) and continued to felt the piece until it was done.

Next time: the finished bag...

...with grosgrain ribbon ties.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Great post! I love seeing a step by step guide. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece : )

Rachel said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the integrated channel for the drawstring works!

Unknown said...

Heather- it's looks so light and delicate...you can already see the shimmer of the silk in the fibre! Can't wait to see the finished bag!
Love, F! (PS- I'm coming to Ohio next week...I'd love to try and see you somehow whle there! I'll email!)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you felted that Blue faced Leicester wool?????? Hahahaha

Me, I would HAVE to spin it. Love using their wool, it spins it's self, I swear it does. Does it almost felt it's self too???? :)

softearthart said...

Nice, cheers Marie

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, all! XXO-