Monday, June 4, 2012

"Tailored" Silk and Merino Purse- Part 1 of 3

Cutting two pieces of silk gauze slightly larger than the resist.

 
Covering the resist with a layer of white wool roving...

 
...followed by a layer of gauze.

 
Applying two thin layers of silk/Merino blend roving...

 
...to each side of the resist.



After felting for a time...

...making a large cut for the purse flap, and removing the resist. 


Continuing to felt and full the piece. 
 
The 'Ugly Duckling' finished felt, prior to drying and stitching.

 
I envisioned a large, 'balloon' of a bag, made of soft, thin felt...

...that I could 'seam' (using a sewing machine) into a smaller, more interesting shape.

(Similar to what I did here or here.)

To make a purse that would be suitable for both spring and summer...

...I chose a shimmery braid of variegated, hand-dyed 50/50 Merino/silk roving...

...that I purchased from my friend Joan.

I used the large, perfectly round resist that I use for all of my tote bags...

...and sandwiched a layer of silk gauze between the white wool layer and the dyed layers...

...to help reinforce the purse without adding weight or bulk.

Next time: the transformation begins...

...and I think you'll be quite surprised!! :)

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

FeltersJourney said...

Lovely colours Heather.. can't wait to see the next stages
x

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Deborah--I think you will really like the finished bag. It is utterly a 'new creation'!! Grin.

Rachel said...

Ooh, you tease! What's coming next?

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Hahaha...just picture me twirling my handlebar moustache over here!! Giggle.

Voie de Vie said...

I love seeing these transformations!

Heather Woollove said...

Denise--Thank-you! I think you'll enjoy this project as it goes along, since the finished bag looks profoundly different from this stage!

Karen said...

love to see the images of your process Heather. I hope you and the girls are well x

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--It's always lovely to hear from you, and yes, we are all well and happy. This purse is truly transformed when it's done, so do stop back!! XXO-