Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blue 'Seamed' Purse For Portugal- Part 3 of 3



The finished purse.

 
A close-up of the stitching (with thread in variegated shades of red).

 
An asymmetrical two-button closure looked best to me.

 
The back side of the purse.

 
Aren't these buttons fun?

 
The finished bag (front side).

 
Unlike most of my pieces...

...I took some 'time off' from this bag between bouts of stitching...

...in order to think through the placement of each new set of seams.

Because of the irregular shape of the flap and front seaming...

...I decided on an 'off kilter' placement of the buttons for a secure closure.

A pair of monogrammed-looking buttons fit the bill for a bit of shine...

...and the pieced leather strap finished off the purse.

I'm happy to report that my new bag weathered the rigors (!) of European travel quite well...

...even when it fell in the dirt or was dragged along by the strap while I sprinted for a train! :)

This purse now 'lives' in Portugal in the possession of our amazing hostess...

...as a small token of my thanks for a remarkable visit.

Next time: the first of several posts about Nicola's felting workshop in Portugal...

...and the beautiful people who helped to make it such a joyful experience for me.

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Rachel said...

The shiny buttons make a great finishing touch!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thanks! I liked them, too. :)

Voie de Vie said...

This is one of my favorites - especially since it now lives in Portugal!

Can't wait to read about these workshops.

FeltersJourney said...

A lovely, and very interesting bag Heather! I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Portugal (how much do I WISH I was there too!?) Glad you are home safe
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Denise--Thanks! I promise to give you a thorough idea about our amazing trip! :)
Deborah--Start saving your pennies for next year...I'm certainly planning on going back and it would be amaaaahzing if you could come, too!

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, that bag is amazing! I love the color, the details...the bag!

Looking forward to your reading about your adventures over yonder.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Thanks so much~!! XXO-

Cameron said...

You gave her a very special gift. Sounds like you had a great time learning new things about felting and making friends. So happy for you. Great experience.

Heather Woollove said...

Cameron--Thanks! Yes--it was an incredible week. I'm still trying to re-orient back to my 'real' life after my adventures!! Giggle.

Terriea Kwong said...

A chic bag from a mighty hand to a brilliant hostess. Such a nice keepsake.

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--I hope it's a small reminder of our lovely felt workshop and all of the fun we had! :)

Piolho said...

love the bag!!!did you liked Portugal??:)

Heather Woollove said...

Piolho--Thanks and YES!!! Portugal was amazing!!!! :)