Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Twin Pre-Felt Purses- Part 2 of 2

Pinning one half of the felt in preparation for stitching...


 ...trimming the corners...


...and pinning the purse bottom into place.


After machine stitching, the purse is no longer a mere envelope.


The front of one of the finished purses...


...and its fraternal twin. :)


The back sides...


...and the fronts again, with leather straps and button loops, and art deco buttons.


Sometimes, when you make a purse...

...a flat, envelope-style bag is exactly what you want.

In this case, though, I wanted room for a wallet, cell phone and keys...

...without a lumpy, bumpy, "serpant qui a mange un elephant"-look. :)

I cut the finished felt into two roughly equal pieces...

...and stitched each section into a flat rectangle with a flap.

I used the raw edges of the finished felt for the flaps...

...so that each one looked a bit organic and unique.

I cut a square of felt from each bottom corner...

...and pinned the new, wider bottoms into place for sewing.

I attached a grey leather handle to each bag...

...and added a leather loop and reproduction deco button for the closure.

Since the felt piece was so large, these are quite generously-sized bags...

...and their 'adoptive mothers' were very happy to receive them at Christmas! :)

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

FeltFinland said...

Love these and I must remember how you made the base flat!

Rachel said...

They look great - something to lift the spirits as you carry it!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Amanda and Rachel!

Pumpkin said...

Oh wow! I think that this is my favorite project of yours to date! Such wonderful gifts!

Terriea Kwong said...

Lovely lovely, I love this colorful "mosaic" bag. Just know the way how to make a flat base. I have to follow it.

Heather Woollove said...

Pumpkin--Thanks so much!
Terrie--Yes...try it out and see what you think. :)

WonderWhyGal said...

Love Love Love!!!
The texture, the style...total package. Again with the sewing ;-)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Hahaha...sorry about the sewing!! :)

Erin Kate said...

How pretty & unique!

Anonymous said...

They came out really well. A nice size, without being too small or too big. I am sure the "girls" will use them often. :)

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Ooohhhh...I love these bags. You are so clever with that little snipping of the corners. Who knew???? Well, certainly not I;-) They are fantastic you artist/stitcher/feltmaker extraordinaire!!!!!

Big hugs to you,
Dawn

Heather Woollove said...

Erin--Thanks so much!
Sandie--Yes...they are large and hold quite a lot!
Dawn--Thanks! I like to use that trick when I want a more 'dimensional' bag! :)

Grazyna said...

All your works are excellent.

Heather Woollove said...

Grazyna--You are very sweet to say so.

FeltersJourney said...

These are really lovely Heather! Very clever cutting the corners out like that for a flat bottom!
xx

Het Wolbeest said...

I love the bags and ny husband thinks they're cute too!! Love, Alex.

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--Thanks! I used to do this with sewn totebags, so I thought, 'why not?'
Alexandra--Thanks...and thanks to 'hubbie', too! :)