Sunday, February 12, 2012

Twin Pre-Felt Purses- Part 1 of 2

Laying out snippets of pre-felt onto bubble wrap...


...and covering them with cotton candy colored, hand-dyed roving.


Wetting out the piece and starting to rub...


...a little progress has been made. 


The finished felt 'yardage'...


...and in more natural light.


A close-up of the chaotic design...


...and the back side of the finished felt.


Every once in awhile, I look around the studio...

...and notice that my fiber supplies are getting a little out of hand.

As Christmas was approaching, I decided that I would use a portion of my saved pre-felt snippets...

...to make a piece of felt 'yardage' for making gifts.

I laid a dense mat of pre-felt pieces onto a section of bubble wrap...

...and covered them with layers of hand-dyed wool roving.

I wetted out the piece and rubbed and rolled until the 'bits' were all incorporated into a nice, firm felt...

...then rinsed it out and let it dry for the next step in the process.

Next time: twin bags are born...

...with leather straps and retro button closures.

Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

vilterietje said...

heather you know how to make us curious:)

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--You know I'm a big tease!! :)

martine said...

the best kind of chaos
thanks for sharing
martine

Heather Woollove said...

Martine--I agree!! "Encourage Entropy"!! :) XXO-

Pumpkin said...

Stunning as always, Heather! Cannot wait to see the final product!

Anonymous said...

I love this very colorful cloth you have made. Isn't it amazing how the colors change according the light used when photographing them. All the same piece, but it looks very different from one shot to the next.
Looking forward to seeing the finished items. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Pumpkin--Thanks so much!
Sandie--You're right about the colors. My studio doesn't have the best light...that's why I usually photograph as much as I can in the front of the house! :)

Het Wolbeest said...

I love the felt. Can't wait to see the rest!!

GalaFilc said...

Wow!!!! so interesting effect!! I like this!!!

Heather Woollove said...

Alexandra--Thank you!
Galina--I'm glad you like this one. :)

Jenn said...

I always love the pictures of the raw fiber all laid out and ready for felting. :D

Heather Woollove said...

Jenn--:) Me, too. It's like one of those fashion makeovers in a women's magazine...before and after! :)

Angela said...

I love using up pre-felt in this way, I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Terriea Kwong said...

A pretty mosiac indeed. Anxious to view the finished two bags. Your creations are always unique.

Heather Woollove said...

Angela--One feels very thrifty, too, when using these otherwise cast-off 'orphan' bits. Giggle.
Terrie--Thank you. I really filled the bubble wrap with bits this time..there was virtually NO backing fiber showing through at the end! :)

Anonymous said...

What a vibrant, vivid piece!

Nicole Erfan said...

I love the way this came out! It looks like a modern painting! So cool!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thank-you!
Nicole--Wow...I never though of that! Thanks!

Angelika Geißler said...

Wow, this is a great idea to work with the rests in our boxes. Thank you to share this with us.
Greetings from Bavaria, Angelika

Heather Woollove said...

Angelika--You're very welcome! I hope you'll try one soon. You are so creative with embellishments, I'm sure it would be lovely!

FeltersJourney said...

What a gorgeous and colourful piece of felt! Great way to use up all the tiny offcuts that accumulate :)

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--Yes...I can only let the piles in my studio get 'so' high, and then I must use some of the stuff up!! :)