Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Striped 'Mariana' Purse- Part 1 of 2

Using a modified 'Valentine Swap' purse resist...


...laying out uneven stripes of roving on side one...


...and side two.


The fully felted and dried piece with resist removed (side one)...


...and side two.


Stitching around the flap edges prior to trimming...


...and after trimming.


Stitching the flap into a pleated 'scout neckerchief' shape.


With every new purse resist that I devise...

...it's fun to try at least one additional variation.

I decided to modify my Valentine Swap purse slightly...

...and finish a belated Christmas gift in the process!

I knew what colors I wanted to use...

...and decided to try a layout based on the incredible work of my friend, Mariana.

I've always admired the way that she lays out roving...

...with wide and thin irregular stripes that just 'pop' with color.

So, after covering the resist with a couple of layers of white roving...

...I added stripes of blue, cream and yellow in various widths.

Next time: the finished bag...

...with cunning little leather details. :)

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

vilterietje said...

love it heather and i love mariana's work too, she is só natural:)

Rachel said...

I like that pleated detail - a good variation, methinks!

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--Thanks! Yes...Mariana is an amazing feltmaker!
Rachel--Thanks! Changing the shape of the resist flap a bit made trimming unnecessary.

Mariana said...

Wow! this looks so cool! I love the shape of the bag! Good idea to stitch and reinforce before trimming.
Flattered at the stripey style with my name on it ahahaha! :)
Looking forward to the finished bag!

Heather Woollove said...

Mariana--Thanks! I'm glad you like your 'namesake' bag!! :)