Thursday, February 16, 2012

Machine Stitched Kindle Cover

Covering the resist with layers of wool roving.


The back of the closed cover...


...and the opened front.


A close-up of the vintage button.


The opened back of the Kindle cover.


A close-up of the braid closure...


...and peering inside.


The finished cover in use.


After I made a cover for my daughter's Kindle...

...I decided to make one for myself, too!

I used pale orange and yellow wool for the exterior...

...and deep blues and greens for the interior.

When it was finished, I thought that the blended colors cooked a little drab...

...so I did some machine embellishment to jazz it up! :)

Using a Lucet tool, I made a short braid for the loop closure...

...and paired it with a wonderful 'citrus cross section' vintage button from my stash.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Pumpkin said...

With such a gorgeous project, of course you have to make one for yourself. Although I would be much more interested in looking at the pretty cover than the kindle itself.

Heather Woollove said...

Pumpkin--I have to agree. It was a gift, and I think part of the reason that I made a cover for it was so that I wouldn't see it and feel guilty that I'm still not using it. (Ulp!)

Rachel said...

The lucet is a very useful tool for making interesting braids, isn't it!

Leigh said...

The stitching is an excellent idea! Really gives a more creative, finished look to the felt.

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--I just purchased two Lucets
(one small, one huge) and I'm learning to use them. Of course, my tension is all wonky, and I haven't figured out the 'tricks' yet, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Leigh--Thanks! It was really just a 'save', since the combination of dark and light layers resulted in a muddy looking piece of felt. This way, everyone is distracted by the stitching and the 'blah' felt is less noticeable! :)

dionne said...

I've been searching out a kindle cover myself. What a great idea!

Heather Woollove said...

Dionne--Thanks! I'd love to see what you come up with!!

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done, and 100% functional. What more could a person want? :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Thanks! :)

Jenn said...

I really like your stitching. I think you are better friends with your sewing machine than I am with mine!

Heather Woollove said...

Jenn-I used to sew quite a bit, but pretty basic stuff...nothing slippery or stretchy! :)