Monday, February 20, 2012

Quilt Design Drawstring Bag- Part 1 of 2



Copying a free-motion quilting pattern onto my resist...


...and tracing the design with pencil roving.


A different design for side two.


Covering the pencil roving with orange(!) wool.


You'll notice that I'm working inside-out again. :)


The fully felted bag (front side)...


...and back.


My friend, Linda's niece, Bethany Pease, is a long-arm quilting marvel...

...and she has published a book called "Modern Quilting Designs: 90+ Free-Motion Inspirations".

It's a book of beautiful free-motion quilting patterns, many of which look like elaborate doodles...

...and some are even simple enough to translate into felt!

With Bethany's permission, Linda sent me a few of the less intricate designs...

...and I put on my 'thinking cap'! :)

I decided to choose two patterns and make a two-sided bag...

...working inside-out (of course!!).

I traced the design onto the resist with a permanent marker...

...then covered it with 'soap glue' prior to laying out the pencil roving.

For the second side, I 'eyeballed' the design, rather than copying it outright...

...and used the same lay-out technique.

After covering the resist with layers of wool roving...

...I felted the piece until it was finished...

...cutting out the resist mid-way through.

Next time: the finished bag...

...with a grosgrain ribbon drawstring casing!


Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Terriea Kwong said...

I really like your idea of "soap glue" for the inside out. I never thought of doing it so neatly. You inspired me such method. Anxious to see the finished look.

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--I just grate olive oil soap into a squirt bottle, add water and shake it frequently for a couple of days.
Voila...soap glue!:)
This is the first of two projects like this. I used other designs for the second one, but cannot show it until after my friend Dawn Edwards' birthday! (Shhhhh!) :)

Angela said...

love the doodled flowers and the orange roving.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Angela! I think you'll like it better when you see the finished bag.:)

Voolina - Mateja Kuhar said...

Another great tutorial, thanks a lot :)!

Senna said...

Hello,

interesting technique and the corlors are very attractive.

Regards Senna

Heather Woollove said...

Voolina--I'm glad you find them useful!
Senna--I do love orange! :)

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Oooohhhh....Just opened my birthday present .... I LOVE IT!!!!! No need to be quiet any more;-)...Why, the party is just starting;-)))

You are too good to me, but I love it!!! ;-))) Thank you, thank you, thank you. My bag is absolutely perfect in every way!!!!!

Love you bunches!!!
Dawn

Heather Woollove said...

Dawn--I'm so glad that you like it, even if it isn't PURPLE!!! :)

dionne said...

Soap glue? I'm going to have to try this. I'm not sure I totally get how you're doing it but I think I'm going to give it a go. Whenever I've tried to felt an intricate design like that I've always needled it first. You've got a snazzy thinking cap there. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Dionne--Remember that this is only really useful for when you are laying out 'inside-out'. If you put the design on at the end, you probably wouldn't need it, since it would 'stick' to the other layers by itself. :)

Rachel said...

It's a great bag, and a good use of the designs!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thanks! I was inspired by the fun designs in that book.

Kelly said...

Love this design! I have been MIA- just sold our home and am looking for our new home. I needed a dash of creativity and knew I would find it here.Wish me luck on the hunt for our farm!

Heather Woollove said...

Wow, Kelly--You have been busy! I wish you all the luck in the world in finding your perfect new farm and home.
(Talk about taking a jump into the deep end of the fiber pool...most of us just start knitting or making felt...you change your entire life! ) :)