Thursday, February 9, 2012

Multiple-Resist Ruffled Clutch- Part 1 of 2


Covering the resist in a layer of aubergine roving...


...and then adding a bright yellow layer.


Multiple 'strip' resists with multiple colors for fun...


...Christmas colors, anyone?


The layers and resists are piling up...


...here, one last shot of color before I envelope the entire piece in layers of orange batt.


Using a felting stone to work on the many-layered piece.


The partially felted clutch...innocuous-looking in its 'un-snipped' state.


This is an experimental project that I made some time ago...

...that I'm not exactly wild about.

You see...other than making a few internal purse pockets or 'multi-lobed' bags...

...I really haven't had much experience with multiple resists.

I wanted to explore the possibility of using 'stacked' resists to create decorative ruffles...

...and I decided to start small and make a sturdy little clutch.

After fashioning a resist and covering it with several layers of fiber...

...I placed layers of multi-colored roving between each 'strip' resist.

As the stacks of small resists rose in height, I felt a little like I was playing Jenga...

...and they seemed to wobble and shift within the fiber layers in an unnerving way.

The trickiest bit was trying to firmly felt the small, connecting areas between the 'stacks' of resists...

...and I finally resorted to using a felting stone on these narrow, indented sections.

I'm pretty sure that placing the two sets of strips so close to each other...

...caused at least some of my struggle...

...but before I give this technique up for good...

...I would relish tips from those of you who have figured it all out!

Next time: the finished clutch...

...with a velcro closure and leather 'loop'.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

This sounds very interesting. Is it a similar technique to the Poppy pillows? I learn so much from your posts.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--It's a bit different than the poppy pillow, since the resists and layers are all hidden inside the 'coating' of orange wool. I think it will be a bit clearer in Part 2, so stay tuned! :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds wildly complicated and I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Fiddly, more than really complicated, and you'll have to decide for yourself whether it was worth it when you see Part 2! :)

Anonymous said...

My only regret is that more of the many colors that you started with, do not really show up very well, in the finished clutch. Otherwise, I think it looks just fine, and should serve the purpose it was intended for with no problem. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--I agree that the colors were lost with the teeny-tiny ruffles!