Saturday, December 31, 2011

Purple Flower Purse- Part 1 of 2


Beginning the layout with an inner pocket.


Adding layers of deep purple roving.


Wrapping roving around the resist in preparation for the petal layers.


Adding bamboo fiber to decorate the flower center.


Beginning to felt the petals...


...and working on each petal in turn.


Hanging the purse to dry with clamps holding the petal folds in place.


This purse was a Christmas gift for a purple-loving friend...

...and I made it in the same manner as the orange one that I blogged about a month or so ago.

Working from the inside to the outside, I covered the resist with layers of wool roving...

...then added petal layers in various shades of purple.

I used bubble wrap with a hole cut into the center between the layers....

...in order to keep the edges separate (from the bag and from each other).

After felting each petal and the purse itself...

...I clamped the petals into place for drying.

Next time: the finished purse...

...with felt-lined pocket.

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

GalaFilc said...

Happy new Year!!!!

Heather Woollove said...

Galina--Thanks so much!...and to you as well!

Tracy Markey said...

gorgeous colour, i'm looking forward to seeing the finished bag :)

best wishes to you for a wonderful 2012 :)x

WonderWhyGal said...

I do love how those purses work out...and the pillows I've seen like that too.

Happy New Year!

Heather Woollove said...

Tracey--I thought it was fun, using different shades of purple, even though I am (as you know!) NOT a purple girl! :)
Andrea--Yes...I originally got the idea from a pillow of Deborah's (Felter's Journey)...I tried an ORANGE one, and now this one. They're not easy to make, so I may stop with two...for now. :)

Pumpkin said...

I am completely in awe of your process and of course the finished object as well. Wonderful work! Also, for the record, I think the purple is beautiful : )

vilterietje said...

part one 2011 and part two 2012, ittakes ages to see the result, but i love the color:)
happy new year and everything that's wishable!!!! love and kisses, riet

Heather Woollove said...

Pumpkin--Thanks so much for stopping by! The color thing is a bit of a joke, since many of my long-time readers know that I especially love 'Fall" colors...no blues/purples (and most fervently ORANGE!!)...yet I know that most women adore the blue/purple spectrum. :)
Riet--Kind of like going into labor on the last day of the year?!?!?! :) Love and kisses to you, too!

Grazyna said...

Buon Anno 2012!!!

trudi@maudeandme said...

Haven't tried felting yet.....but it is only a matter of time!

Heather Woollove said...

Grazyna--Happy New Year to you, too!! XXO-
Trudi--Yes...you will love it! Happy New Year!

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Oh, it's so much fun to see the bag in process. I am enjoying the finished bag so much. Everyone loves it!!! It's such a fun bag...I adore it...And the maker;-)Thank you so very much...It is a work of art!

Love,
Your purple-loving friend;-)

Heather Woollove said...

Dawn--Hahaha...you're unmasked at last! :)
I'm glad you like it. It was made with LOVE!!