Thursday, December 22, 2011

Red and White Raw Fleece Bag- Part 1 of 2



Covering a resist with white and red wool roving.


Adding loops (for the handle) and raw mystery fleece. :)


The finished bag...sans handle.


Machine piecing a brown leather strap...


...and attaching it to the loop.


This is a purse that I started at the Creative Felt Gathering last summer...

...since which time it has languished, sadly, in a darkened corner of my studio. :)

I finally decided to finish it (for gifting this Christmas)...

...and at first thought, I decided to try a felted strap with toggles at each end.

Unfortunately, when I fashioned one from white and red roving...

...it just didn't suit.

I then decided to craft a wide leather strap...

...by cutting up a piece of brown leather with my rotary cutter, and piecing it...

...then machine stitching it to the loops on each side of the bag.

Next time: the finished purse.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Jeanette Nord said...

Wow! That is a truly amazing purse! Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Christmas! Thank you SO much for all the inspiration you have given me through out the year!

XXX
Jeanette

Elizabeth said...

The loops for attaching a handle are a good idea. I can see why a felted handle didn't look right to you... just too much of a good thing.

Heather Woollove said...

Jeanette--Thank you!! I really appreciate your kindness and am so happy that we've become friends through our fiber art!!!
Elizabeth--I think you're right...plus, it kind of looked like a barber pole with the red and white like that ...bleaurgh. :)

Anu said...

what a great combination..this very special red with the mystery fleece...like it!!! happy christmas***anu

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it requires a bit of a rethink to find exactly the right finishing touch..

Anonymous said...

I am sure this will be another great bag Heather. Lucky receiver :)

vilterietje said...

it must turn out great because you ignored it so long:)

Patty Biermans said...

OOOOhhh, this looks ery promissing!! hugzz...peebee

Heather Woollove said...

Anu--Thanks! Even though I made it in the summer, it looks very seasonal, doesn't it?!? Like a Christmas stocking or something! :)
Rachel--That happens with quite a few of my projects! :)
Kim--Thanks!
Riet--Hahaha...too bad this system doesn't work for relationships!! Giggle.
Peebee--Thank you!