Friday, December 2, 2011

Brightly Colored Nuno Felt Pillow


Silk fabric envelope enclosing a square plastic resist.


Laying out the variegated roving.


More layers.


The finished felt (before ironing)...


...and in close up.


The fully stuffed and stitched pillow...


...with a nice, nubby texture.


I'd been wanting to try a kind of nuno felt project...

...where you sew silk into an envelope around a resist...

...and felt the piece 'inside-out'.

I used a very densely-woven, re-purposed piece of silk...

...(something I wouldn't ordinarily risk)...

...and some of the 'difficult to felt' roving that I recently purchased from Wollknoll.

I figured that if they each 'took their time' in felting...

...they might be the perfect match in a nuno piece!! :)

Although the variegated roving ultimately felted quite well...

...the finished 'silk side' was not much to look at...

...and I decided to use the wool side for the pillow's exterior.

When it was fully felted and dried...

...I stuffed the pillow with a mass of wonky wool roving that I had on hand...

...and hand-stitched the open end closed.

Phew...another Christmas gift completed! :)

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

It's beautiful! I love all of the colors. Is that the roving you sent me? I have been blending it with my Alpaca and will post photos soon with the spinning project I've been working on.

Maybe I'll be able to send you some yarn so you can make another sassy scarf like the one you did the other day.

vilterietje said...

wowzer, beautiful, soft and warm:)

Patty Biermans said...

Wooowwwww.... I like the colors!! The receiver will be very happy with such a gift! hugzz...peebee

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Yes...it's the same roving...and I'd love some of the alpaca/'difficult roving' yarn if you have any left over when you're done with it. I'm sure the Alpaca will have made it sooooo soft!!
Riet and Peebee--Thanks!!

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

Wow -- you make it look so easy. I love your flexible approach to the finished product. Sometimes felt has a mind of its own, doesn't it? - Margaret

Heather Woollove said...

Margaret--Hahaha...I definitely let my projects
"be what they want to be"...especially when they don't turn out the way that I expect!!! I think that's my favorite thing about feltmaking...the 'mystery'!! XXO-

Grazyna said...

Beautifully coordinated colors.

Anonymous said...

It looks like fun, anyway, and you've got yet another new technique in your armoury!

Vivian said...

I have a very large skein of alpaca yarn in a similar colorway and I have been pondering about what to make out of it. they are such a strong but playful colors, I bet your pillow will get a lot of love. Your giftee is very lucky!

Heather Woollove said...

Grazyna--Thanks, but it was a variegated roving, and I just laid it out as it was!!
Rachel--Yes...it is fun to experiment! :)
Vivian--Your yarn sounds wonderful, and I'm sure you'll do something exciting with it!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Really nice, and I bet the knobby parts feel great too. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Sandie...yes, the texture is nice!

Theresa said...

OMG I love this pillow! I love the colors and how you laid them out. I could stare at this pillow like a meditation focus.

Heather Woollove said...

Theresa--What a cool idea!! Maybe I'll have to make a few of these to keep on hand for when my daughters (eventually...NO RUSH!) go into labor!! Giggle.

The Monko said...

wow thats awesome. I think I am in love with your blog. I have only just started wet felting and my first two projects have ben very bulky for fear of making something holey but I think you have given me the courage to try something a bit thinner

Heather Woollove said...

TM--Thank you so much!!! Yes...it takes a little time until you get an idea of how much wool to lay out.