Thursday, December 29, 2011

Faux Two-Layer Scarf: Redux


Laying out grey wool roving.


Covering the wetted-out roving with a frame of thin plastic foam.


Adding layers of brown merino roving.


After wetting out the piece and folding in the edges.


A view from the back...before felting.


The finished scarf...


...again, with a top layer that only appears to be separate from the bottom...


...and this time, with leather 'buttons' instead of metal washers.


Because using a bubble wrap 'frame' last time ended up being a bit 'fiddly'...

...I decided to try felting one into the piece...

...and then cutting it out after the scarf was partially felted.

I sandwiched a wide foam frame between the two colors of roving...

...then felted the scarf until it passed the pinch test.

Next, I cut along the outer edge of the scarf...

...removed the foam frame, and finished the piece.

When the scarf was fully felted and dry...

...I trimmed the top layer so that the bottom layer would show.

I cut squares of grey leather for the 'attachments' this time...

...and machine-stitched them to each corner of the scarf.

Overall, I found it a bit easier to use this method...

...but I think I prefer the more organic edge of the top layer from my first try.

Next time: a very purple purse! :)

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Karen said...

we are so alike!!! get the Turkey finished and back to work! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas...

Elizabeth said...

I like the organic edge on the first one, too, but I think I like the leather buttons on this one better than the buttons. Buttons always need to be resewn at some point! Nice technique, either way. When are you going to make an orange one for yourself? :-)

Fi said...

I like this two layer effect. It doesn't make the centre of the scarf too stiff does it?

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--I miss my blog friends when I don't post! :)
Elizabeth--Hahaha...I actually received an amazing orange scarf from my friend, Dawn Edwards (Felt So RIght) for Christmas. :)
Fiona--I used two very thin layers of merino for each layer, and the whole scarf stayed very thin and soft....not stiff at all. :)

vilterietje said...

oh, i love the colorcombination! :)

Anonymous said...

Both versions have their own charm, I think, and it's good to have more than one way to achieve something.

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--The first scarf was made for a young man and the second for a middle-aged one. :)
Rachel--Thanks! Yes...I do love to experiment! :)

Angela said...

Lovely idea Heather. Like you I prefer the organic edge but the leather buttons are a good touch.

Heather Woollove said...

Angela--I like the leather, too. I'll have to keep that idea in mind for other projects. :)

Vivian said...

It seems almost like magic how the finished product comes together. It's fascinating! Thank you for being such an inspiration, I really enjoy reading about your creations. Happy New Year!

Heather Woollove said...

Vivian--Thank you for your faithful comments. Your kindness means the world to me! :)

Tracy Markey said...

what a great technique, especially now that you have improved on it to help make it a bit less fiddly.

i usually prefer a more organic edge but i really like the contrast between the straight edge and the organic one on your second scarf.

Heather Woollove said...

Tracey--I think of the 2nd one as a more 'grown-up' scarf, and I think the straight edges help with that.

Terriea Kwong said...

Both are good. I love more the first organic look. Such a good idea to make the 2-layers look. Thanks for sharing. I just wondering what are the buttons used for these scarf?

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--Thanks! I just cut small squares of leather and machine stitched them onto the scarf for the 'buttons'. :)

FeltersJourney said...

These are great Heather - I like both of them just as much. I think they are a brilliant gift for a man (who are always hard to make for!)
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--Thanks! Yes...why are men so hard to find gifts for?!?!

The Monko said...

i just love looking at your blog. Its so inspiring, its like surfing an art gallery

Heather Woollove said...

T.M.-That's so sweet of you to say!!