Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pre-Felt Snippet Nuno Rug- Part 1 of 2

Laying out art batts in a large rectangle.


Covering the wool with cotton gauze.


Adding pre-felt shapes.


Notice how the colors from the art batts are beginning to show through the gauze?


Wrapping the edges of the cotton layer around to the back during felting.


This rug is a Christmas present for my daughter, L...

...but I don't need to worry about ruining her surprise...

...since she's already seen images of it!

A month ago while we were Skyping...

...I showed it to her before it was even finished...

...and, that fast, she had claimed it for her own! :)

A piece this big takes a lot of work...

...but, luckily, my BF helped with the pre-felt lay out and some of the rolling.

Trying to find the perfect place for each little piece was a lot of fun...

...and I got to use up some of the smaller bits of pre-felt that I had in my stash.

Using gauze in this manner is a double-edged sword...

 ...there's a lot of shrinkage...

...but you also get a lovely, highly-textured surface.

Next time: the finished rug...

...in all of its wildness!! :)

Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Yvette said...

looks great already!

Kelly said...

You are amazing! This is going to look awesome!

martine said...

this is fabulous, can't wait to see the final object. feel very inspired to try something bigger. would be interested to know the before/after measurements.
thanks for sharing
martine

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Yvette!
Kelly--Hahaha...I have to admit that I WAS a little wistful about wrapping it up. :)
Martine--It started out 4&1/2 feet by 6&1/4 feet, and ended up approx 3 feet by 4 feet. Your shrinkage will depend on the kind of wool that you use...but count on more shrinkage than with wool alone. The gauze really ruches up and carries the wool with it.

WonderWhyGal said...

LOVE!

I can't wait to see the finished project. I'd be claiming it too if I were your daughter.

Anonymous said...

You must need a big space and a lot of patience to felt all that!

The Monko said...

oh my goodness i can't wait to see the finished thing.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Thanks!! Actually, your cowl was the talk of my holiday brunch this morning! Hannah was cold and had it on and my friend, Maureen couldn't stop 'petting' and admiring it!! :)
Rachel--It's a pretty big table, but you're right...I don't start these rug projects 'lightly'!! :)
TM--I hope you'll like it. It's one of my favorite things from this last year!

Karen said...

it will be beautiful Heather...I hope you and your girls have an amazing Christmas x

Unknown said...

As everyone, I can't wait to see the finished product, Heather! It must have taken ages to layput all the prefelt cutouts! Random patterning can be the hardest things of all the accomplish! Looks so beautiful already in these pics....

FeltersJourney said...

OMG I am going to LOVE this one! Can not wait to see the finished piece
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--Thank you for your kind wishes!
Fiona--I hope you'll like it. The finished rug is so soft and flexible...and so festive-looking...I kind of hated to give it up!! :)
Deborah--Thanks!! It's pretty wild...but in a good way. Grin.

vilterietje said...

you are só multi-creative:)

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--and you are so faithfully kind! XXO-

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog ;) Such a surprise to read that you watched the whole tutorial while it was in Dutch :D

It's wonderful to discover your blog. And your daughter is one lucky girl to receive such a beautiful rug for Christmas. Can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished!
Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Wonderful colours, I bet it will be beautiful.

Heather Woollove said...

Aukje--Thanks for visiting and your kind comments!!
Michala--Thanks so much!

Els said...

Heather !!! What a wonderful piece of work ! I love it !

Heather Woollove said...

Els--Thanks so much!!