Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Faux Two-Layer Scarf


Two thin layers of brown roving in a long rectangle...


...and two of gold blended with sour-apple green.


As I worked...

...I placed a narrow bubble-wrap 'frame' between the outer edges of the two colors.


The finished scarf with small, gold, metal washer accents.


You'll notice that the outer edge of the yellow-green layer is free from the brown layer...


...but the two layers are otherwise felted together into one.


The finished scarf appears to be made from two separate layers...


...held together only by the metal pieces.


I wanted to make a couple of men's scarves for Christmas gifts...

...and I remembered a wonderful alpaca scarf of Chad Alice Hagen's...

...in her book Fabulous Felted Scarves.

Instead of making two thin scarves in different colors and joining them with buttons after drying...

...I took a 'cheaters way out', and felted them together...except at the very edges!

The scarf is very light and soft, and I think it 'reads' visually as I had intended...

...but working with the bubble wrap 'frame' was a little fiddly.

Next time: modifications...

...and my second attempt at this type of scarf

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Terriea Kwong said...

The bubble wrap "frame" way is good for the layers look. Never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

martine said...

Lovely scarf. I have a copy of the book and will have to revisit for some inspiration.
thanks for sharing
martine

Anonymous said...

Very nice, and it does look soft too. Should keep some lucky person very warm, I'm sure. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--You're welcome!
Martine--Yes...Chad is a wonderful teacher, and I think it even comes through in her books!
Sandie--Thanks--yes, it was a 'hit'. :)

Bending Birches said...

just beautiful-I loved seeing how it came together in the end-- literally :)

Heather Woollove said...

B.B. Thanks! I'm glad you stopped by.

Anonymous said...

What an ingenious idea!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thanks!! :)

Anonymous said...

oh heather are we soulmates??? after 2 days of felting I sat down and thought to get a look at your blog... and found a scarf I also just made today.. I don't know where the idea came from but I also made a scarf with edges covered with plastic and getting 2 layers... I started in white but ended up un Purple... keep an eye on my blog i'll wirte about it soon :)

Heather Woollove said...

Kim--That's so wonderful!! I've noticed other times in the past that we seem somehow 'synched up' artistically! How marvelous!!! I can't wait to see your version!! XXO-

Alex Charls said...

WoW!!looks very very nice, attractive and soft!!!!


Scarves for Women

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Alex.