Sunday, November 20, 2011

Orange Flower Purse- Part 2 of 2


The fully felted purse.


Clamping the petals to create 3-D texture.


A close-up of the petals, silk yarn and snippets of pencil roving.


The purse back with trimmed flap.


Pearlescent vintage buttons for the closure.


The finished purse.


This purse was a little tricky to do...

...but, boy, was it worth it!

I found that after I had felted the piece for some time...

...I still felt a little 'wobble' in the center where the petals attached.

Taking a few stitches with a large needle and silk yarn seemed to do the trick...

...and I could then finish felting the bag without fear. :)

I decided that rather than having inner pockets or flaps of any kind...

...I would trim the flaps and have the bag opening follow the circular pattern of the flower.

In order to keep the bag's contents secure...

...I stitched two buttons to the inside of the bag back...

...and made button-holes on the front flap of the bag (where they are hidden by a petal).

Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow looks superb Heather!!

Mattie van den Heuvel said...

A very nice one Heather! Love the colour too ;))))

THanx for showing!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Kim!! I like the little colored dots in the finished felt. It makes for an interesting color, I think!
Mattie--I'm glad you like it! :)

Hedwig Schumacher said...

That's a very nice flower bag!
Hadiah

vilterietje said...

wow heather: heavenly!!!!!
it is a very special purse and i'm sure you will walk around very proud with it, telling everyone: did it myself!!!!
enjoy:)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Hadiah!
Riet--Hahaha :)

WonderWhyGal said...

That bag is awesome! I love the petals.

Elizabeth said...

This is my favorite of all of the bags you have posted. It's really lovely.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--They're fun, aren't they?
Elizabeth--Thanks so much!!
It's quite feminine, I think.

Terriea Kwong said...

Oh, love this vivid bag VERY MUCH. Color and design are wonderful. So cheerful carrying it.

Lindy and Paul said...

Wow, it turned out fabulous, Heather!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous - I think the one I've liked best so far!

Patty Biermans said...

Lóóóve the red! Really poppielike! It's another Heather-bag! hugzz...peebee

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks so much, Terrie, Lindy, Rachel and Peebee!

maya =^o^= said...

amazing art!!!!you are talented!!regards from greece!!

Unknown said...

So fun Heather! It will be fabulous to wear-like you'd feel so special just to to swing it over your shoulder and stride out! I imagine catching a glimpse od such a special bag and as you walk by a shop window...and smiling! Beautiful felting of all the layers...

Heather Woollove said...

Maya--I'm so glad you stopped by...welcome!!
Fiona--Thanks so much...your images of me 'out in the world' with this bag really made me smile!! XXO

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Good morning to the world's finest bag maker,

I hate it when people raise their voices so early in the morning, but I just can't help myself...I LOVE THIS BAG!!!! IT IS SUPER AMAZING!!!! ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10 ...I'M GIVING THIS ONE A 20 !!!!! WOW!!!! O.K., there, now that's all out of my system and I'll go have a cup of Joe to wake up;-)))

Love,
Dawn

Heather Woollove said...

Dawn--You are one silly monkey!
(and I love you!!) :)

Retoños Fieltro said...

Mil gracias por el comentario! Quede enamorada de este bolso en cuanto lo vi! Escuche sobre la tecnica, pero no la he ejercitado aun. Me encanta la manera de darle vueli a kis oetakis, Gracias por ser tan generosa con los tutoriales! Cariños desde Argentina,

Heather Woollove said...

Nirma Elizabeth--Thanks for the nice comments and for stopping by!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe this one. It's amazing! It's adorable! It's so unique!!! Heather, you are an genius! Love it, love it, love it! :)

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha...Sandie-you're so funny!