Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wool: A Love Story


How did my love affair with wool begin? Like any great romance, it began slowly, decorously...timidly, even.

It all started 20 years ago when we lived in Baltimore, MD. For those of you
who are familiar with the "Sheep and Wool Festival" world, you know that the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival is something special.
http://www.sheepandwool.org/

I do not knit or crochet, so at that time, my attendance was more due to the
fact that they had fun and furry animals for my children to see and (sometimes)
pet, than any burning desire for fiber.

...but oh, how things changed!

Slowly, I became aware of the marvelous felted objects available from hand crafters...cunning little bowls, knitted,
then machine fulled bags, wet-felted scarves in outrageous colors and patterns,
nuno-felt. As I purchased each item, I wondered, "How do they make these?"

At last, I found out. I attended a marvelous felting class at the John C Campbell Folk School www.folkschool.org in June of 2009.

The journey had just begun.

No comments: