Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Modified Bark Scarf

 
 
 
 


This project was a lengthy one. I first made a large rectangle of felt using inclusions in white roving. As you can see in the last two photos...it was rather blah.

I was inspired to try a project of Chad Alice Hagen's from the book Fabulous Felted Scarves by CAH and
Jorie Johnson...a book well worth purchasing!

In it, she describes how to make a bark design using parallel stitching with strong thread (I used thick, coated thread for sewing on coat buttons from a huge, ancient wooden spool of 'John C. Meyer Thread-Lowell Mass' that has been in my possession for at least 30 years.)

The wool fabric is first sewn, then the threads are pulled tightly and tied off prior to dyeing.

Of course, it's supposed to be bark, but I really wanted to try Kool-Aid dyeing and only had a few colors-so I decided to match the inclusions already in the scarf and dyed it purple!

...Hmmm...perhaps not the look I was going for...but the dyeing was a lot of fun!
You immerse the fabric in a packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid plus boiling water and vinegar...and the color actually migrates into the wool fabric. When the process is complete, you have a dyed scarf floating in clear water! "The magic of science!"
Very Cool!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: