Friday, July 25, 2014

"Rescued" Purse- Part 3 of 4

Removing the resist...

...mid-way through felting...


                                      ...and turning the project right-side out.


                                          
                                                 After a lot of rubbing, rolling...



                                                              ...and fulling...



                        ...the closely-woven cotton has still not really attached to the wool.



                                        The pre-felt sections felted-in, as expected...



                                    ...but the fabric areas look like elephant skin!



                                          After initial feelings of disappointment...

                                                        ...and deliberation...

            ...I decided to 'take the bull by the horns' and just remove the fabric altogether!



The newly denuded purse..

  ...with red felt 'side seams' and bottom...



                                        ...and their attendant 'hairy' fabric edges...

                                          ...(where bits of attached fabric remain).

                                              

                                                This is the point in the 'tale'...

                             ...when readers may throw up their hands in horror...

                                 ...wondering 'how on earth?' their scrappy heroine...

                                          ...will save the day this time?!! (Giggle)

                                            Next time: the 'rescued' purse...

                                           ...with leather appointments.




7 comments:

Rachel said...

Now, I would probably have used stitchery to attach the cotton fabric, but I'm not sure it would work so well!

Kathleen said...

You are so brave!! I liked the comparison of the loosely-felted fabric to elephant skin. Cutting off the fabric was a good call. You are indeed a "scrappy heroine." Kathy

Terriea Kwong said...

Oh dear, lots energy spent BUT I'm sure you can turn it to pretty purse. Eager to see it.

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel-That was actually my first thought, but there was so little that actually had adhered to the wool, it would have been a daunting task.
Kathy--Hahaha...I like that title, thanks!!
Terriea-It is a very different purse from the one I first envisioned, but strangely enough, it's one of my very favorite purses, ever!

Diane said...

Heather, so many of my favorite projects have started as those 'failures' it has taught me so many lessons. I believe that when we create we are in a relationship with the materials and having a conversation, we need to listen as much as talk, and be ready to let go of our ideas of how things should be. I can't wait to see the save...and see what you do with the pieces of fabric you cut off. You will try again right? Or you could send them to another felt maker. ;)

FeltersJourney said...

Such a shame it didn't attach.. I do like the fabric edges sticking out from the red prefelt areas though. I'm looking forward to seeing the next instalment :)
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Diane-i love what you say about it being a 'relationship'!! Hmmmm...I'll have to save some of this fabric for you for the next time we meet. :)
Deborah-- I liked the edges, too...that's what gave me the 'rescue' idea!! :)