Sunday, May 5, 2013

Green 'Wrap Tie' Bag- Part 2 of 3

The braided cord, prior to felting.

(I used a plastic container filled with water as a 'third hand' during braiding.)

 
An additional layer of roving on side one...

 
...a flip to side two...

 
...and an additional layer of roving on this side, as well.

 
With both of my recent 'wrap tie' bags...

 
...I worked with an open resist...

 
...and shaped the flap of the bag by hand during the layout.

 
Opening up the dry end of the partially felted cord...

...and attaching it to the body of the bag.

 
Working with open resists is rather a new technique for me...

...and I'm finding that I like it very much.

Rather than cutting the partially felted piece in order to remove the resist...

...and then having to seal the cut edges...

...these edges form on their own with very little effort on my part!

Next time: the finished bag.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rachel said...

There are so many variations in technique - I always see something new here!

Unknown said...

Such delicious colours, Heather! Looks gorgeous so far...can't wait for the big reveal! I make all my nags with an open resist...it's quite amazing in this felting world, the way we develop and expand our techniques! In a room of feltmakers, we all could get to a similar end product, using completely different methods!

Anonymous said...

It's coming along very nicely, so far. Guess I'll check back again soon, to see it finished. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--I am easily bored! :)
Fiona--You're so right! That's why I love taking classes. Even if I just pick up one little thing per class, I accumulate knowledge of what works for me! :)
Sandie--Good! Thanks!