Friday, November 6, 2015

Silk Scarf Embellished Slippers- Part 1 of 3

Following this wonderful tutorial...

...I draft a slipper pattern from craft paper.


                                                   With a permanent marker...



                    ...I transfer the patterns to a piece of foam floor underlayment.



                                         Using a vintage silk scarf from my stash...

                                         ...I choose areas that I wish to highlight...



                                       ...and orient my pattern pieces accordingly.


                                             
                                            One slipper will feature a glum cat...



                                             ...and the other, a grinning dog. :)



                              The silk is placed on the foam resists 'right side' down...



                                      ...and smoothed out with a sprinkle of water.


  
                                      A layer of white wool roving is applied next...



                                               ...and the project is wetted out.



                                           Additional layers of wool are added...



                                                    ...from a blended art batt...



                                ...and the slippers are flipped over to the second side.



                          Next time: the resists are encased in additional layers of fiber.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the idea, but I don't think I could bring myself to cut up such a lovely piece of silk!

Heather Woollove said...

Do you remember the scarf artist Laurel Burch? (V. popular in the '70's)
...or are you too young?? :)

FeltersJourney said...

ooooo Heather.. love that silk! Look forward to seeing the progression :) xx

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Deborah! It's a pretty great design. You should try a pair!!