Friday, May 13, 2011

Rainbow Faucet Table Runner- Part 1

Covering prefelt faucet with black roving.

 


After needle-felting.

 


Applying finished faucet to the prepared table runner.

 


Adding the first rainbow stripes.

 


If you're 'une femme d'un certain age', like me, you probably remember a thing called 'customer service'...

...when clerks or tradespeople could regularly be relied on for expert help and assistance.

Sadly, this is an experience often lacking in today's busy world...

...but I recently was reminded of just how great it can be!

I have a new plumber who exemplifies the term 'work ethic'...

...he is friendly, honorable, and goes out of his way to help.

I wanted to thank him for contracting a large sewer replacement job for me recently.

...so I made him this table runner.

I started with a layer of white roving and cotton scrim...

...then added two more layers of roving...

...folding the edges in to make a nice, clean rectangle.

I cut a faucet shape out of prefelt...

...and needle-felted black roving onto its front and back surfaces.

I applied the faucet to the prepared runner...

...and began adding rainbow stripes.

Next time: the finished runner.










Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, I can't wait. You know that Pepto runner that I got from you last Winter...it's still on the table. My kids like it and say it reminds them of the flowers outside.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--You should overdye it with orange...then it would be a real favorite! :)

vilterietje said...

looking forward to the finished runner! must be great to find a relaiable plumber, here they are like a needle in a haystack:)

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--Here, too. I'm so happy to have a new one I can really trust!

Kelly said...

What a creative gift! I really like the clean lines of this one.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Heather you crack me up! Who else would make such a wonderful gift with such a great picture. Looking forward to seeing all the colors.

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly and Joei--Thanks! Unfortunately, because of the curvature of the wool stripes, my finished runner got pulled out of shape during felting and came out a bit askew (you'll see)...but the design was still spare... and 'manly' I hope...although my co-workers asked me whether he was gay, because of the rainbow!

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Oh my...Thanks a lot for putting the pressure on...Whew-wee!!!! Do you know how often something breaks or needs fixing around this old house??? Good heavens...If word gets out about your kind gestures and expectations arise, I'd be working round the clock just to keep up;-))) You're a dear and I'm sure your gift will be much appreciated .... And, another thing ... I'll bet the next time that the sewer line backs up, you'll have plumbers clamoring at your door to fix the problem...gratis;-)))

Heather Woollove said...

Dawn--Look who's talking!! You're the one who has coffee and cake with your handyman every time he darkens your door!! :)

FeltersJourney said...

Wow, its looking great already & you havent even finished it!