Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blue and Orange Pre-Felt Bag- Part 1

Cutting the 'pleated' pre-felt.

 


Piecing where necessary with basting stitches.

 


Starting the layout with blue roving.

 


Adding the orange pre-felt layer (pleat-side down) and a second layer of blue wool.

 


Here's another one of my peanut-shaped resist bags...

...using sewn pre-felt and roving.

I machine-stitched several irregular 'pleats' into a sheet of pre-felt...

...and trimed it into the shape of the resist...just slightly smaller.

Since my pre-felt wasn't quite large enough in places...

...I pieced it by hand where necessary, using long basting stitches.

Since I had had trouble with my pre-felt 'flapping' in a previous project,...

...this time, as 'insurance', I started the layout with a layer of wool roving around the perimeter of the resist.

This extra bit of wool helped the bag to form a cohesive whole during felting...

...and I like it as a design element, as well.

Next time: the finished bag...

...and NO symbolism!! Giggle.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Terrie said...

Eager to see the finished look. You always so creative and generous to share. THANKS.

Kelly said...

Nice! I'm interested in seeing how the pleats felt. I know you said no symbolism in this post, but this bag would make any Florida Gator fan proud :)

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--Thanks for your sweet words!! XXO-
Kelly--Not only is there NO symbolism here...I know so little about sports that I don't even know WHICH sport the Gators play!:)

vilterietje said...

wowzer! you do a lot of work in small time, where do you buy this time?
love, riet:)

GalaFilc said...

I am curious about the result.
It is interesting!

Heather Woollove said...

Riet--This project is actually from quite some time ago. When I have time to work, I do a lot of projects and photograph them, then I can 'dole them out' during the weeks when I can't make a thing!
Galina--Thanks...I hope you'll like Part 2.

Rachel said...

Looks great - and I know exactly how it goes, preparing posts in advance. It makes the crisis weeks every life has slightly less critical!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Rachel!

Michelle said...

Love the pleating!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Michelle--I think it's fun, too!