Wednesday, May 4, 2011

'Love Messenger' Bag- Part 1

Laying out bright wool roving.

 


'Embedding' a layer of silk gauze in the body of the bag for strength.

 


Cutting out the bag flap and handle.

 


Hanging the bag to dry (this is the back).

 


My second-eldest daughter is graduating from college with a degree in Civil Engineering in a few weeks...

...and I'm really proud of her!

I wanted to make her a special gift that would show her how I feel...

...and also be something useful for graduate school in the Fall.

I decided on a messenger bag, since they're handy for schlepping laptops...

...the thick felt acting as an insulator against shocks and bumps.

I cut a large rectangular resist from foam floor underlayment...

...rounding off the corners with scissors.

I laid out several layers of wool roving on the resist, like I do with my purses...

...this time, sandwiching in a layer of silk gauze.

I rolled the bag until it was shrinking and becoming felted...

...and the resist was starting to curl up inside the bag...

...then cut out the flap and bag strap in the usual way.

Since I used a rectangular resist, rather than my usual rounded-off one...

...there were two unsightly 'elbows' in the strap when the bag was finished. :(

I'll show you how I remedied this problem...

...plus photos of the finished bag...in my next post.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Your bags are awesome! Congratulations to your daughter, I know you must be proud, and good luck to her in graduate school.
I cannot wait to see the front and inside, and the strap....well the whole thing really- waiting patiently.......

WonderWhyGal said...

ooooh, love the colors! What kind of foam do you use? I've tried bubble wrap and heavier plastic but those can really move around which creates a wonky felt. Yes, I need to save my pennies (or sell tons of my Alpaca roving and yarn) so I can come have a playdate with you.

vilterietje said...

looks great and congrats for your daughter:)

Little Miss Adventure said...

What a great idea for a graduation present! You must be so proud of her!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly-I hope the next set of photos will be enough to satisfy you. :) My daughter took her gift to school some weeks ago and I can't take any others!
Andrea-I use a 'floating floor underlayment' from a home and garden store...something like this:http://www.wix.com/troyobie/precisioncomponents#!basicul
Thanks, Riet!
Rebecca--Thanks! Yes-I really am.
How have you been? Are you feeling better?

GalaFilc said...

Interesting process!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Galina! :)

Dawn Edwards/Felt So Right said...

Good morning buddy,

This bag is GORGEOUS!!!!! Your daughter is going to love it! Congratulations to you on such a beautiful design and to your daughter on her soon-to-be graduation. Are you sure she's not peeking at this post to see what you're making?

Big hugs,
Dawn

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha, Dawn...are you kidding? She snatched this bag up as soon as it was dry! :)