Thursday, December 5, 2013

Modern Art Tote- Part 1 of 2

Elegant inspiration from the Vatican Museum.

 
 I fashioned a tote template from foam floor underlayment...

...and used it as a pattern to cut out two pieces of cotton gauze.

 
Putting the fabric aside for later...

...I 'sketched' a facsimile of the design onto my resist...

...using black merino yarn...

 
...then filled in the darkened area with small pieces of black silk gauze...

...and covered the whole shebang with a layer of white wool roving.

 
Turning the project to side two...

 
...I repeated the design as a mirror image...



...and covered it with a layer of white wool roving. 
 
Additional layers of roving were added to each side...

...plus the cotton gauze (for structural support).

I also added one thin layer of black roving at the top and bottom of the tote...

 ...for visual interest and to disguise any signs of wear and tear on the bag.

 
While visiting the Vatican Museum in Rome...

...I absolutely fell in love with this painting!

Once home, I decided that it would be lovely to carry the image with me...

...so I fashioned this 'in the manner of' felted art tote.

Next time: color blending...

...and the finished bag.

P.S. I've searched high and low for the name of this artist without success...

...so if any of you can help me with the attribution, I'd be very grateful!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It looks very good. The colours you pick might help me identify the artist. At the moment, I am sure I will kick myself when we find out, because it looks very familiar!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, this one is going to be a success. I can just feel it! Can't wait to see it. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel-It's on the 'tip of my brain'! :)
Sandie-Thanks!

FeltersJourney said...

This is going to be a winner!
Love the design.. and adding a band of black top and bottom will be a perfect touch to go with the lovely picture.
I can see why you fell in love with that painting!
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah-I was so surprised at all of the quirky modern art in the Vatican Museum. I wouldn't have expected it!