Monday, December 9, 2013

Mawata Silk Hankie Wine Tote- Part 1 of 2

Tote resist with center hole.

 
Covering it with soft brown...

...and natural white wool roving.

 
Wetting out the project.

 
Adding a dyed Mawata silk hankie...

...by stretching it open and placing it on the wool surface.



Side two with another hankie. 
 
Mid-way through felting.

(I love the 'spidery' lines made by the silk hankies!)



Cutting the handles. 
 
Although you've already seen a pink one...

...this is actually the prototype for my new wine totes.

 I chose a simple color scheme made up of natural white roving...

...and some soft and lovely brown roving given to me by my wonderful friend, Becky.

(Thanks, again, Becky!)

I stretched out dyed silk hankies to fit the general shape of the tote on each side...

...for a subtle and slightly shimmery embellishment.

Next time: the finished tote.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice so far!! :)

Rachel said...

The silk does produce a lovely cobwebby effect, doesn't it!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Yes! I also love the dense 'blobs' that you get from where the cocoon was sometimes!