Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Just Right" Beret- Part 1 of 2

Laying out the design...



...and covering it with superfine merino roving. 
 
Fluffy 'clouds' of batt adorn side two.

 
The fully wrapped resist, wetted out.



Centering a 5-inch diameter paper circle as a pattern... 
 
...and cutting out a matching circle of partially felted wool.

 
After a bit more felting...

...the beret is turned 'right-side' out.



The beret top, mid-way through felting.
 
As a 'wink wink' send up for a painter friend...

...I decided to make her an art-to-wear beret as a gift.

Using shapes cut from a fluffy, cotton-dot-studded wool batt...

...I laid out a design for the beret top.

After covering the shapes with deep blue roving...

...I flipped the resist and added opened-up 'clouds' of the same batt...

...for underside embellishment.

Using a 5-inch paper circle as a template...

...I cut out a standard-sized 'head hole' for the beret.

Next time: the finished hat.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

FeltersJourney said...

Great colours! The top reminds me of a ladybug
x

Terriea Kwong said...

Beautiful color and layout . Must be great on a painter. Looking forward to the finished look.

Sonnentaucher Filzlinge said...

Danke liebes Arbeitsbienchen,
ich schaue immer fasziniert zu...liebe Grüße Jana

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--You're right! I didn't see that until you pointed it out! :)
Terriea--I hope she will actually wear it! :)
Jana--It's so nice to hear from you...thanks! XO-

Rachel said...

I'm sure your friend will enjoy wearing it!

Jeany said...

This looks very great, the pattern you maden, and baretsare so wearable. Great!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--I hope so, but she lives in Texas and I'm not certain that it gets cold enough to really enjoy a felt hat! :)
Janine--Thank-you! I hope she'll send me a photo of her wearing it sometime. :)

Unknown said...

Czekam z niecierpliwością na efekt końcowy. Nie wiem dlaczego ale wzór z pierwszego zdjęcia skojarzył mi się z wąsami Lecha Walesy.Oczywiście bardzo fajnymi wąsami. hihi. Pozdrowienia z Polski.

Heather Woollove said...

Karolina--Hahaha...you are so right! It does look just like his moustache!