Monday, November 12, 2012

'Grapes Project' From A Summer Workshop

Laying out two very thin layers of wool...

 
...in colors that I love...

 
...and colors that I 'resist'. :)

 
Filling each circle with something...

...and tying them tightly with nylon string.

 
After felting the piece and removing the string...

 
...you can see the filled protuberances...

 
...and the empty ones which were originally filled with stones or bits of plastic.

 
My finished sample.

 
I'm afraid that this post has arrived a bit out of order...

...since this project pre-dates my recent red purse post...

...yet these techniques informed the making of that bag.

This sample was from my wonderful class with Marjolein Dallinga this summer...

...and it was a really interesting project to do.

We used very thin layers of wool to make a pre-felt...

...and stuffed hand-stitched pre-felt circles with things like stones, raw fleece, fabric and foam.

For me, the really 'magic' part came...

...when it was finally time to cut open the tops of the 'grapes' and peek inside!! :)

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It's an astonishing structure - I'm constantly surprised by what is possible in the world of felt!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--It IS cool, isn't it?!? Marjolein is an awesome teacher!!

Voie de Vie said...

I think you have a new holiday tree to display!

Kelly said...

the texture really intrigues me! Amazingly cool results!

Heather Woollove said...

Denise--Hahaha, brilliant!
...and to think I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it!! :)
Kelly--Thanks! I think it's fun, too! :)