Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Textile Center" Minneapolis, MN

The beautiful ambiance of the Textile Center.



One of Morgan Clifford's wonderful woven works.

She uses hand-dyed, hand-woven linen and silk in her pieces...

...and some of her works even feature hemp and handspun nettles!

 
One of the delightful quilts on display...

...this particular one is lovingly hung in the lending library.



Here's another...


...and, yet, another.



"Ooohing and ahhing" over Becky's incredible, fleece-in-the-grease Border Leicester blanket are...

 ...Nancy Mambi (Librarian) and Carolfaye Meadows (Shop and Event Manager).
(Becky is in the middle.)

 
The Joan Mondale Gallery: featuring "Constructions in Concert"...

 
 ...an installation by Joyce Melander-Dayton featuring pieces which are all stitched...no glue!

It's quite remarkable!

 

For those of us without easy access to a facility like this...

...it's hard to believe the 'abundance of riches' available in this remarkable center!!

It's a mecca for all things textile-related...

..housing galleries for group and individual exhibitions...

...classroom facilities and meeting rooms for groups and Guilds.

It has a state-of-the-art, stainless steel dye lab...

...and a marvelous gift shop, featuring member-made works.

I think my favorite part of the center is the lending library...

...featuring a thrilling collection of books and fiber-related magazines...

...all available to those lucky enough to be local members of the center. 

My friend, Becky, and I spent a few enjoyable hours there while I was visiting...

...and boy, do I wish we had something like this, here at home!! :)
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

What an amazing place - thanks for sharing the photos!

Heather Woollove said...

TFF--It IS a terrific place...glad you liked the post.

Elizabeth said...

Each work is more beautiful than the next. Thanks for sharing!
Elizabeth

Kathryn Ray said...

Wow Heather, that's amazing!

I can't believe they let you take photos.

A few years ago I went to a textile show at the Nat'l Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque, NM which was completely amazing.

You have me thinking about looking for something similar around here. Although... an Yves Saint Laurent show will be starting at the Denver Art Museum soon... and I have every intention of soaking it up.

Kathryn Ray said...

So the Denver Art Museum has a Textile collection and the Fort Collins Museum has a textile show right now... I guess I'll be museum-ing a bit over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the nudge. :-)

Heather Woollove said...

Elizabeth--I know that I walked from room to room with my mouth hanging open!! :)
Kathryn--I always ask first about taking photos, and I was told that the gift shop was the only 'off limits' room in the center. (Lucky, huh?)
Oh, yes...please share what you can with us, too, will you?!?!?! (Yves St Laurent...be still my heart!)
:)

Rachel said...

It sounds truly inspiring!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--It's just a 'humming hive' of creativity!
I would love to be close enough to be able to take classes and borrow books! :)

Vivian said...

I love those colorful quilts. Sometimes I wish I could knit something like that, but all the color changes would be a nightmare.

Heather Woollove said...

Vivian--You're right...I never thought of that.
What a cool idea, though...and if anyone could do it, you would be 'the girl'!! XXO-

FeltersJourney said...

Wish we had a centre like that here! What a fantastic place!

Love your friends fleece rug too
x

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--I know...it IS amazing!! Becky's blanket is really awesome in person, too. It looks like a sheepskin rug...the way she felted this remarkable BL fleece!!

Terriea Kwong said...

My eyes open for these arts piece. The fabric arts are typical my favour. I'm interested in fleece felt. Thanks for take us the tour.

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I certainly enjoyed the ones you posted from your daughter's wedding!!!!!