Thursday, March 22, 2012

More Walker Art Center- Trip Post #2

One of the fantastic glass chandeliers seen hanging in the Walker.

 
This piece looks like the entrance to heaven to me!

 
Texture and wonderful color.

 
Verisimilitude, baby!



Can you guess why this one appeals to me?!? :) 


A piece from the Walker's eerie "Midnight Party Wunderkammer" collection...

...called 'Dowry Cloth'...

...made from felted sheep's wool and human hair!!


A very strange and wonderful selection of works were displayed in this particular glass case...

...several by Sigmar Polke, and a few by the amazing Joseph Beuys!
 

This cast iron piece by Beuys (next to a pair of plaster shoes by Huang Yong Ping)...

...is called "Backrest for a Fine-Limbed Person (Hare-Type) of the 20th C. A.D.".

 

Ok, ok...I know what some of you are thinking...

...but, strange as some of this is...for me, there's nothing better than modern art!!!!! :)

I admit that their "Midnight Party" collection is a little bit creepy...

...and a little bit of a 'head-scratcher'...

...but still...oh, how wonderful it all is!!

I was diligent about only photographing the permitted pieces...

...and my only real regret is that I couldn't share the Joseph Beuys "Filzanzug (Felt Suit)" with all of you!!

It's hanging in the Walker in all it's glory, though...

...for one day in the future when you might have an opportunity to travel to MN to see it, too! :)

Next time: our 'virtual tour bus' stops at The Textile Center...

...and I promise that you will not stop salivating!! :)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Goodness, what a range! Sounds as though you had a wonderful day..

Patty Biermans said...

I'm always open for modern art but find it sometimes difficult to understand. On the other hand, you don't have to understand it, just like it :)). And some things I like very much. hugzz....peebee

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Hahaha...you're right! From "the sublime to the ?!?!"!!
Peebee--Oh, I don't claim to understand much of it at all, but it does make me "feel" things...and I really like that! (I even like it when it makes me feel upset or disturbed...or queasy!) :)

Светлана said...

Thank you, very interesting.
Svetlana

Heather Woollove said...

Svetlana--I'm glad that you enjoyed the 'virtual trip' to the Walker! It's quite an amazing place!!!
XXO-

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the glass chandelier. It is so fragile looking, the colors are gorgeous and calming, and I can almost hear the pieces jingling if they are disturbed, like chimes. As the modern art in general, I don't "get it." I guess I'm just too "simple minded" to understand any of it, but I'm really glad that you had such a wonderful time being there and seeing it all first hand. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Not at all. I think that many (most?) people aren't really thrilled with modern art. I don't mind being a little 'unnerved' or disturbed...so I always enjoy it! XXO-

Spinster Beth said...

Thanks for sharing!

Heather Woollove said...

Beth--It's a very interesting museum...and we didn't even have time to see the sculpture garden :(